Strawberry Crostata with Honey Whipped Cream
This strawberry crostata makes the best spring dessert! You’ll love this easy recipe showcasing fresh strawberries baked in flaky, all-butter pastry. Recipe makes one 10-inch crostata.
Similar to a galette, crostata is essentially a free-form pie. A crostata or galette is baked flat on a parchment-lined baking sheet, then sliced into wedges for easy serving.
Sweet and buttery, with jammy strawberry filling and honey whipped cream, the strawberry crostata is my answer when I’m craving homemade strawberry pie.
5 Secrets to Baking Decadent Chocolate Desserts
Served slightly warm with dollops of honey whipped cream, this is one blissfully sweet dessert that perfectly showcases fresh strawberries.
How to Make Strawberry Crostata
Pastry – Combine flour, salt, and sugar in a food processor. Add cubed butter and process just until the mixture resembles coarse meal. With the food processor running, add ice water in a steady stream through feed tube. Process just until dough holds together in large clumps, then wrap dough in plastic and flatten slightly to form a disc. Chill dough for 1 hour.
Roll Dough – Place dough on a floured board and dust dough lightly with flour. Roll out dough into a 12-inch circle and transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Chill in the refrigerator for 15 minutes and preheat oven to 400°F.
Assemble Crostata – Brush 2 tablespoons strawberry jam over chilled crust, leaving a 1-inch border. Top with strawberry slices and brush with remaining 2 tablespoons jam. Combine sugar and arrowroot starch, and sprinkle over fruit. Fold up the pastry border, pressing the edges with a fork to seal. Chill assembled crostata for 15 minutes.
Bake Crostata – Brush pastry with milk or heavy cream and sprinkle with sugar. Bake crostata for 35 minutes, until pastry is golden and filling is bubbly. Let cool for 30 minutes before serving.
Easy strawberry recipes:
Did you try this Strawberry Crostata Recipe? Let me know by leaving a comment and rating below!Print
Strawberry Crostata with Honey Whipped Cream
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Italian
Strawberry crostata makes the best spring dessert! You’ll love this easy recipe showcasing fresh strawberries baked in flaky, all-butter pastry. Recipe makes one 10-inch crostata.
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 2 to 4 Tbsp ice water
- 1/4 cup strawberry preserves
- 2 1/2 cups strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp arrowroot starch
- 1 Tbsp milk or cream
- 1 Tbsp sugar
Honey Whipped Cream
- 1/2 cup cold heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp orange blossom honey
- Make crust: Combine flour, salt, and sugar in a food processor. Add cubed butter and process for 10 seconds, just until the mixture resembles coarse meal. With the food processor running, add 2 tablespoons ice water in a steady stream through feed tube. If needed, add additional ice water 1 tablespoon at a time, and process just until dough holds together in large clumps (no more than 30 seconds). Wrap dough in plastic and flatten slightly to form a disc. Chill in the refrigerator at least 1 hour (or up to 2 days, or place in a freezer bag and freeze up to 1 month).
- Roll dough: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place dough on a floured board and dust dough with flour. Roll out dough (roll dough in one direction, then lift up dough and rotate a quarter turn and roll, then repeat) until dough is a 12-inch circle. If dough starts to stick, use a bench scraper to lift dough from board. Transfer dough to prepared baking sheet and chill in the refrigerator for 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Assemble crostata: Place jam in a small bowl and microwave briefly (about 10 seconds); whisk to loosen. Brush half the jam over the dough, leaving a 1-inch border. Top with strawberry slices and brush with remaining jam. Combine sugar and arrowroot starch and sprinkle over fruit. Fold dough border up over strawberries, pressing the edges with a fork to seal. Chill assembled crostata for 15 minutes.
- Bake crostata: Brush pastry with milk or cream and sprinkle with sugar. Bake crostata for 35 minutes, until crust is golden and fruit is tender. Let cool for 30 minutes before serving.
- Make honey whipped cream: Pour heavy cream into a chilled mixer bowl fitted with wire whip attachment. Whip on medium speed until cream begins to thicken. Turn off mixer and add honey; whip the cream on medium-high speed until soft peaks form. Top crostata with whipped cream and serve immediately.
Arrowroot starch is a natural thickener and creates a smooth, shiny sauce. Available online or in the natural foods section.
Make ahead: The dough can be made 1-2 days in advance and refrigerated until ready to use.
Keywords: Strawberry, Strawberry Crostata, Crostata, Whipped Cream
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy.
Oh my goodness, Laura, this crostata is GORGEOUS. Stunning, stunning. And it looks utterly delicious! <3 xx
Gorgeous, Laura! I am feasting my eyes on your lovely Strawberry Crostata and special Honey Whipped Cream. 🙂 I, too, am working with fresh strawberries this week and can’t wait to try your recipe. Thanks for sharing!
Love the rustic, fresh, vibe coming from this crostata! The berries are too gorgeous to be hidden inside a double crust. 😉
If summer had a signature dish, I think this would be it. Looks incredible!
This looks wonderful Laura. I just love how the strawberries stay such a beautiful, fresh red color!
A great example of spring beauty! I mean, that vibrant red color is amazing and I bet those strawberries had a delightful fragrance.
I wish I had a slice right here…
The only thing I like about a 35 degrees C Summer heat is the fact that I get to whip up decadent desserts like these! This crostata flooded with juicy strawberries and a MASSIVE scoop of vanilla ice cream is all I need for the next few months now!