strawberry crostata with honey whipped cream
When flaky pie dough rolled out and topped with farm fresh strawberries meets a hot oven, it’s nothing short of magic. Sweet and buttery, with jammy strawberry filling and honey whipped cream, the strawberry crostata is my answer when I’m craving strawberry pie without the angst or intimidation of a double crust.
Served just slightly warm with dollops of whipped cream clouds, this is one blissfully sweet dessert that perfectly showcases spring strawberries.
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 2 to 4 Tbsp ice water
- 1/4 cup strawberry preserves
- 2 1/2 cups strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp arrowroot starch
- 1 Tbsp milk or cream
- 1 Tbsp sugar
Honey Whipped Cream
- 1/2 cup cold heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp orange blossom honey
- For the crust, combine flour, salt, and sugar in a food processor. Add cubed butter and process for 10 seconds, just until the mixture resembles coarse meal. With the food processor running, add 2 tablespoons ice water in a steady stream through feed tube. If needed, add additional ice water 1 tablespoon at a time, and process just until dough holds together in large clumps (no more than 30 seconds). Wrap dough in plastic and flatten slightly to form a disc. Chill in the refrigerator at least 1 hour (or up to 2 days, or place in a freezer bag and freeze up to 1 month).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place dough on a floured board and dust dough with flour. Roll out dough (roll dough in one direction, then lift up dough and rotate a quarter turn and roll, then repeat) until dough is a 12-inch circle. If dough starts to stick, use a bench scraper to lift dough from board. Transfer dough to prepared baking sheet and chill in the refrigerator for 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place jam in a small bowl and microwave briefly (about 10 seconds); whisk to loosen. Brush half the jam over the dough, leaving a 1-inch border. Top with strawberry slices and brush with remaining jam. Combine sugar and arrowroot starch and sprinkle over fruit. Fold dough border up over strawberries, pleating to make an edge; brush pastry with milk and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 30 minutes to 35 minutes, or until crust is golden and fruit is tender. Let cool for 30 minutes before cutting and serving.
- For the honey whipped cream, pour heavy cream into a chilled mixer bowl fitted with wire whip attachment. Whip on medium speed until cream begins to thicken. Turn off mixer and add honey; whip the cream on medium-high speed until soft peaks form.
Arrowroot starch is a natural thickener and creates a smooth, shiny sauce. Available online or in the natural foods section.
- Calories: 290
- Carbohydrates: 33
Keywords: Strawberry, Strawberry Crostata, Crostata, Whipped Cream