Ultimate crinkle brownies are the best rich and fudgy brownies! With perfect crinkle tops, these taste like your favorite box mix brownies, only better. 🙂 Delicious with a glass of milk, these brownies are a chocolate dream! Recipe makes 12 to 16 brownies.
Perfect Fudgy Crinkle Top Brownies
Prep ahead – Line the baking pan and measure out all of the ingredients in advance so you can work quickly. The batter should be warm all the way through the process of making this recipe for the classic shiny crinkle top!
Chocolate – The recipe is really all about the chocolate! 🙂 The brownie batter includes 6 ounces of semisweet chocolate (finely chopped) and unsweetened cocoa powder. Use the best quality semisweet chocolate you can in this recipe (I like Ghirardelli baking bars). Once the batter is mixed together, fold in 1 cup of semisweet chocolate chips or chocolate chunks.
Best Christmas Cookies
5 Deliciously Festive Holiday Cookie Recipes!
Fudgy brownies – This recipe does not use chemical leaveners (there’s no baking powder or baking soda in these brownies) which equals super fudgy brownies!
Baking pan – Use an 8-inch square metal baking pan lined with parchment. Light-colored pans conduct heat evenly, and I recommend them for all brownie and blondie recipes.
Don’t overbake – The key to brownies with a perfectly fudgy texture is to bake just until set (a toothpick or tester should emerge with a few moist crumbs).
Here’s what you need for this crinkle-top brownie recipe:
- Flour – This recipe uses all-purpose flour.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder – Use Dutch processed baking cocoa for the richest chocolate flavor. I use and recommend Rodelle Gourmet Baking Cocoa.
- Salt – Enhances the chocolate flavor.
- Butter – Use unsalted butter, cut into small cubes. The butter is melted with the chocolate.
- Semisweet chocolate – I use and recommend high quality chocolate such as Ghirardelli semi-sweet baking bars or Guittard semisweet chocolate wafers (66% cacao).
- Sugar – The brownies are made with a blend of granulated sugar and light brown sugar.
- Eggs – This recipe uses two large eggs plus one large egg yolk. The extra egg yolk is the key to rich, fudgy brownies!
- Vanilla – Use pure vanilla extract.
- Semisweet chocolate chips – Chocolate chips are folded into the brownie batter. You can also use dark chocolate chips or chocolate chunks. Don’t skip the chocolate chips – the added sugar makes the brownies crinkle on top as they bake!
How to Make Ultimate Crinkle Brownies
- Gradually melt chopped chocolate and butter in a double boiler (or a heat-proof bowl over simmering water). Stir together with a spatula until mixture is completely smooth. Remove melted chocolate from the heat and whisk in sugars until smooth.
- Whisk in eggs and egg yolk one at a time until smooth, then whisk in vanilla. Gently fold in flour/cocoa mixture just until no streaks remain, then fold in chocolate chips (or chunks).
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan and smooth the top with an offset spatula. Tap the pan once to remove air bubbles.
- Bake these brownies until just set, 25 to 28 minutes. A toothpick inserted in the center should come out with a few moist crumbs attached.
- Let the brownies cool completely, then cut into squares with a sharp knife. Store brownies in an airtight container at room temperature.
More favorite brownie recipes:
- Fudgy Homemade Turtle Brownies
- Peanut Butter Cup Brownies
- Baileys Irish Cream Brownies
- Praline Brownies
- Salted Caramel Brownies
Did you try these Crinkle Top Brownies? Let me know by leaving a comment and rating below!Print
Ultimate crinkle brownies are the BEST rich and fudgy brownies! With perfect crinkle tops, these taste like a homemade version of box mix brownies! A tried-and-true homemade recipe. Recipe makes 12 to 16 brownies.
- 3/4 cup (105 g) flour
- 1/4 cup (24 g) unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 1/4 tsp (1.5 g) salt
- 1/2 cup (112 g) unsalted butter, cubed
- 6 oz (168 g) semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup (100 g) sugar
- 1/2 cup (92 g) lightly packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs (100 g), at room temperature
- 1 large egg yolk (17 g), at room temperature
- 1 1/2 tsp (6 g) vanilla extract
- 1 cup (170 g) semisweet chocolate chips (or chocolate chunks)
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line an 8-inch square metal baking pan with parchment paper. Whisk together flour, cocoa, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Place butter and chopped chocolate in a double boiler or in a heat-proof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Gradually melt the butter and chocolate, stirring until completely melted and smooth.
- Remove chocolate mixture from the heat and whisk in sugars until smooth. Whisk in eggs and egg yolk one at a time, until combined. Whisk in vanilla. Add flour mixture and fold in just until no streaks remain. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth the top. Gently tap pan once to remove air bubbles.
- Bake brownies for 25 to 28 minutes, until the top is set and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few crumbs attached. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Lift parchment and place brownies on a cutting board. Cut into squares with a sharp knife. Store leftover brownies in an airtight container at room temperature.
Unsweetened cocoa: Use Dutch-process cocoa powder for the richest chocolate flavor. I use and recommend Rodelle Gourmet Baking Cocoa.
Semisweet chocolate: I use and recommend Ghirardelli semi-sweet baking bars or Guittard semi-sweet chocolate wafers. For best results, use good quality chocolate.
Freeze Brownies: To freeze brownies, cool completely before wrapping with plastic wrap and foil. Freeze up to 3 months. Thaw brownies overnight in the refrigerator (still wrapped to prevent condensation), then bring to room temperature before serving.
The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products I use and love!
Keywords: Fudgy Brownies, Crinkle Top Brownies, Chewy Brownies
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy.