The most heavenly spring pairing is sweet strawberries with ruby red rhubarb. The iconic duo are simply made for each other in this strawberry rhubarb crumble pie that’s nothing short of a dream. With a jammy filling scented with a touch of lemon, every blissful bite is sweet and vibrant. Recipe makes one 9-inch pie.
Enveloped in a flaky all-butter crust and sprinkled generously with brown sugar crumble topping, this is the pie of my dreams (and even better topped with scoops of vanilla bean ice cream!).
Prefer strawberry crisp? Try my easy fresh strawberry crisp!
Best Christmas Cookies
5 Deliciously Festive Holiday Cookie Recipes!
More favorite homemade pie recipes:
- Mixed Berry Cherry Slab Pie
- The Best Blueberry Galette
- Homemade Cherry Pie
- Brown Butter Dutch Apple Pie
Did you try this Strawberry Rhubarb Pie Recipe? Let me know by leaving a comment and rating below!Print
Sweet strawberries and rhubarb shine in this buttery and delicious strawberry rhubarb crumble pie topped with brown sugar crumble.
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 2 to 4 Tbsp ice water
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 Tbsp cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 1/2 cups sugar (see note below)
- 6 Tbsp arrowroot starch (or 4 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch)
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 5 1/2 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1 1/2 cups sliced rhubarb
- 1 tsp Meyer lemon zest
- 1 tsp Meyer lemon juice
- Prepare dough: For the crust, combine flour, salt, and sugar in a food processor. Add cubed butter and process for 10 seconds, just until the mixture resembles coarse meal. With the food processor running, add 2 tablespoons ice water in a steady stream through feed tube. If needed, add additional ice water 1 tablespoon at a time, and process just until dough holds together in large clumps (no more than 30 seconds). Wrap dough in plastic and flatten slightly to form a disc. Chill in the refrigerator at least 1 hour (or up to 2 days, or place in a freezer bag and freeze up to 1 month).
- Prepare crumble topping: Combine oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender until large crumbs form. Chill until ready to use.
- Place dough on a floured board and dust dough with flour. Roll out dough (roll dough in one direction, then lift up dough and rotate a quarter turn and roll, then repeat) until dough is a 12 to 13-inch circle. If dough starts to stick, use a bench scraper to lift dough from board. Transfer dough to a 9-inch pie pan (see note below); trim overhang to one inch and crimp edges. Chill in the freezer for 20 minutes. Place a rimmed baking sheet lined with foil in the oven and preheat to 350°F.
- Prepare filling: Whisk together sugar, arrowroot starch, and salt in a large bowl. Add sliced strawberries, rhubarb, Meyer lemon zest, and lemon juice to sugar mixture and toss together just until combined. Immediately spoon filling into chilled bottom crust and sprinkle with crumble topping.
- Place pie on preheated baking sheet and bake for 65 to 70 minutes, until golden and filling is bubbling. Cool pie on a wire rack for at least 4 hours before serving (filling thickens as it cools).
Pie pan: I used a 9 x 1.5″ pie pan. Sugar: If your strawberries are especially sweet, reduce sugar to 1 1/3 cups. Arrowroot starch is a natural thickener and creates a smooth, shiny sauce. Available online or in the natural foods section.
Keywords: Strawberry, Rhubarb, Strawberry Pie, Crumble Pie
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy.