Step up your brownie game with turtle brownies! Inspired by classic turtle candies, these bars celebrate one of the best dessert duos ever: caramel and chocolate! To make them, my favorite crinkle brownies are drizzled with salted caramel sauce. Topped with chocolate chips, pecans, and flaky salt, these brownies make the perfect indulgence!
Tips for Perfect Brownies
Prep ahead – Line the baking pan and measure out all of the ingredients in advance so you can work quickly. The batter should be warm all the way through the process of making this recipe for the classic shiny crinkle top!
Chocolate – The brownie batter includes 6 ounces of semisweet chocolate (finely chopped) and unsweetened cocoa powder. Use the best quality semisweet chocolate you can in this recipe. Once the batter is mixed together, fold in 1/2 cup of semisweet chocolate chips or chocolate chunks.
Fudgy brownies – This recipe does not use chemical leaveners (there’s no baking powder or baking soda in the recipe) which equals super fudgy brownies.
Baking pan – Use a light-colored 8-inch square baking pan lined with parchment.
How to Make Turtle Brownies
- Gradually melt chopped chocolate and butter in a double boiler (or a heat-proof bowl over simmering water). Once the chocolate is completely melted and smooth, remove from the heat and whisk in sugars until smooth.
- Whisk in eggs and egg yolk one at a time until smooth, then whisk in vanilla. Gently fold in flour/cocoa mixture just until no streaks remain, then fold in chocolate chips (or chunks).
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan and smooth the top with an offset spatula. Tap the pan once to remove air bubbles.
- Bake these brownies until just set, 25 to 28 minutes. A toothpick inserted in the center should come out with a few crumbs attached.
- Let the brownies cool completely on a wire rack.
- For the topping, drizzle brownies with salted caramel sauce. Sprinkle chopped pecans, chocolate chips, and flaky salt over the caramel sauce.
- Cut brownies into squares with a sharp knife and enjoy! 🙂
- Store leftover brownies in an airtight container in the refrigerator; bring to room temperature or warm slightly before serving.
Turtle brownies are decadent crinkle brownies topped with homemade salted caramel sauce, pecans, chocolate chips, and flaky salt!
- 3/4 cup (105 g) flour
- 1/4 cup (24 g) unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 1/4 tsp (1.5 g) salt
- 1/2 cup (112 g) unsalted butter, cubed
- 6 oz (168 g) semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup (100 g) sugar
- 1/2 cup (92 g) lightly packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs (100 g), at room temperature
- 1 large egg yolk (17 g), at room temperature
- 1 1/2 tsp (6 g) vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (85 g) semisweet chocolate chips (or chocolate chunks)
- 1/2 cup salted caramel sauce
- 1/4 cup (29 g) chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup (43 g) semisweet chocolate chips
- flaky salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line an 8-inch square metal baking pan with parchment paper. Whisk together flour, cocoa, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Place butter and chopped chocolate in a double boiler or in a heat-proof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Gradually melt the butter and chocolate, stirring until completely melted and smooth.
- Remove chocolate mixture from the heat and whisk in sugars until smooth. Whisk in eggs and egg yolk one at a time, until combined. Whisk in vanilla. Add flour mixture and fold in just until no streaks remain. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth the top. Gently tap pan once to remove air bubbles.
- Bake brownies for 25 to 28 minutes, until the top is set and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few crumbs attached. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Lift parchment and place brownies on a cutting board. Cut into squares with a sharp knife.
The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products I use and love!
Store leftover brownies in an airtight container in the refrigerator; bring to room temperature or warm slightly before serving.
Keywords: Chocolate, Caramel, Salted Caramel, Pecan, Brownies