meyer lemon earl grey tea cake
A sweet and tender tea cake is welcome anytime of day, making Meyer lemon Earl Grey tea cake the most cozy and delicious breakfast or afternoon treat! Infused with aromatic Meyer lemon zest and fragrant Earl Grey tea, the flavors pair beautifully in this scrumptious loaf cake.
To really infuse this loaf cake with flavor, start by combining milk and loose leaf Earl Grey tea in a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat just until warm. Remove from heat and let stand for 15 minutes, then strain through a mesh strainer, pressing firmly on the tea to release as much flavor as possible.
For a bright burst of citrus in the cake, combine sugar and Meyer lemon zest in a food processor and pulse for one minute, until the zest is finely ground. Beat butter and Meyer-lemon sugar until light and fluffy, and proceed with the recipe as directed below.
Baked until golden and drizzled with sweet Meyer lemon glaze, this effortless cake comes together quickly and is perfect with a cup of tea. Enjoy!
This simple and delicious Meyer lemon Earl Grey tea cake is welcome anytime of day! Drizzle the cake with Meyer lemon glaze and enjoy with a cup of tea.
- 1 cup milk
- 1 Tbsp loose leaf Earl Grey tea
- 1/4 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp Meyer lemon zest
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- pinch of salt
- 2 tsp fresh Meyer lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp fresh Meyer lemon juice
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray. Combine milk and Earl Grey tea in a small saucepan and heat over medium heat just until warm. Remove from heat and let stand for 15 minutes; strain through a mesh strainer, pressing firmly on the tea. Stir in yogurt.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Place sugar and Meyer lemon zest in a food processor and pulse for one minute.
- Beat butter and Meyer lemon-sugar in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until light and fluffy; beat in egg and vanilla. Reduce speed to low and add half of flour mixture, beating just to combine. Add milk mixture, then finish with remaining flour mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared pan; smooth top with an offset spatula and tap pan sharply. Bake for 50 minutes, until edges are golden, cake springs back to the touch, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few crumbs attached. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes; carefully remove cake from pan and cool completely on wire rack.
- For the glaze, whisk together melted butter, salt, Meyer lemon zest, juice, and powdered sugar in a small bowl. Drizzle glaze over cooled cake and and let set before serving.
Keywords: Meyer Lemon, Earl Grey, Cake