chocolate peanut butter rice krispie treats
There are rice krispie treats, and then there are next level chocolate peanut butter rice krispie treats! A midnight craving led to these homemade no-bake bars, and these easy bars are seriously delicious.
Perfect for your chocolate peanut butter cravings, you may never go back to plain rice krispie treats again! Flavored with brown butter, peanut butter, marshmallows, and plenty of vanilla, these soft and gooey treats are topped with a decadent chocolate layer and flaky salt.
The Best Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
Brown Butter – Brown butter takes basic rice krispie treats to the next level. To brown butter, cook butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until it foams, turns clear, and then turns a medium brown, about 5 minutes.
Peanut Butter – Creamy peanut butter gives these easy treats the best texture. Skip the natural peanut butter here, and opt for a commercial brand like Skippy or Jif. Natural or homemade peanut butters can separate and affect the final texture of the bars.
Marshmallows – Jet-Puffed jumbo marshmallows are my favorite to use. They melt easily, and give these treats the best chewy texture.
Chocolate – Melted semisweet chocolate chips add a rich chocolate topping to the bars. You can also use melted dark chocolate chips, or melted chopped chocolate. Sprinkle the chocolate with flaky salt for the perfect sweet-salty treat!
Next level chocolate peanut butter rice krispie treats! These easy no-bake treats are delicious and perfect for your chocolate peanut butter cravings!
Rice Krispie Treats
- 1/4 cup (56 g) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup (128 g) creamy peanut butter
- 20 oz (566 g) jet-puffed marshmallows
- 2 tsp (8 g) vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 5 cups (150 g) crisp rice cereal
- 2 cups (356 g) semisweet chocolate chips
- flaky salt
- Line a 13 x 9-inch baking pan with parchment paper and grease the parchment with softened butter.
- Cook butter in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until it foams, turns clear, and then turns a medium brown, about 5 minutes.
- Once butter has browned, add peanut butter and marshmallows to the saucepan. Use a silicone spatula to stir the mixture over medium heat until gooey and marshmallows are completely melted. Stir in vanilla and salt until combined.
- Remove saucepan from the heat and fold in crisp rice cereal. Pour mixture into prepared pan and press evenly with a greased spatula. Let cool completely.
- Place chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl and heat in 10-second bursts, stirring until melted and smooth. Pour melted chocolate over rice krispie treats and spread evenly with an offset spatula. Chill for 20 minutes in the refrigerator to set chocolate.
- Lift parchment and place rice krispie treats on a cutting board; cut into squares with a sharp knife and sprinkle with flaky salt. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Peanut Butter – Use a commercial brand like Skippy or Jif. Natural or homemade peanut butters can separate and affect the final texture of the bars.
Keywords: Chocolate, Peanut Butter, Brown Butter, Rice Krispie Treats, Rice Krispie Treat Variations