There are rice krispie treats, and then there are next level chocolate peanut butter rice krispie treats! These no-bake bars are seriously delicious!
Rice Krispie Treats
- 1/4 cup (56 g) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup (128 g) creamy peanut butter
- 20 oz (566 g) jet-puffed marshmallows
- 2 tsp (8 g) vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 5 cups (150 g) crisp rice cereal
- 2 cups (356 g) semisweet chocolate chips
- flaky salt
- Line a 13 x 9-inch baking pan with parchment paper and grease the parchment with softened butter.
- Cook butter in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until it foams, turns clear, and then turns a medium brown, about 5 minutes.
- Once butter has browned, add peanut butter and marshmallows to the saucepan. Use a silicone spatula to stir the mixture over medium heat until gooey and marshmallows are completely melted. Stir in vanilla and salt until combined.
- Remove saucepan from the heat and fold in crisp rice cereal. Pour mixture into prepared pan and press evenly with a greased spatula. Let cool completely.
- Place chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl and heat in 10-second bursts, stirring until melted and smooth. Pour melted chocolate over rice krispie treats and spread evenly with an offset spatula. Chill for 20 minutes in the refrigerator to set chocolate.
- Lift parchment and place rice krispie treats on a cutting board; cut into squares with a sharp knife and sprinkle with flaky salt. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Peanut Butter – Use a commercial brand like Skippy or Jif. Natural or homemade peanut butters can separate and affect the final texture of the bars.
Keywords: Chocolate, Peanut Butter, Brown Butter