Layered chocolate caramel graham bars make the ultimate treat! With a graham cookie crust, brown sugar caramel filling, and rich chocolate topping, you’ll love these 3-layer bars.
With a bit of nostalgia thrown in with the from-scratch graham cookie crust (a nod to honey graham crackers!), I love topping these bars with flaky salt for the perfect salty-sweet dessert bar. And while you may not need 32 of these bars in your kitchen, this recipe easily doubles to fit a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
The Best Chocolate Caramel Graham Bars
Graham Cookie Crust – The graham crust is made from flour, graham flour, cinnamon, butter, sugar, light brown sugar, and honey. If you don’t have graham flour on hand, substitute whole wheat flour, graham cracker crumbs, or use a total of 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour. Bake the crust until golden and set, then let cool for 20 minutes before topping with caramel.
Caramel Filling – The brown sugar caramel is made with brown sugar, butter, salt, and vanilla. This caramel comes together in minutes on the stovetop and makes a delicious filling for these bars. Pour the warm caramel over the graham base, then gently tilt the pan to coat evenly. Chill the bars for 45 minutes to set the caramel before adding the chocolate.
Chocolate Topping – Rich semisweet chocolate adds the perfect finish to these bars. Chop up chocolate baking bars and melt the chocolate until smooth and glossy. Pour the chocolate over the caramel layer, then chill the bars for 1 hour before cutting into squares.
Layered chocolate caramel graham bars make the ultimate treat! With a graham coookie crust, caramel filling, and chocolate topping, you’ll love these bars.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/4 cup graham flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp honey
Brown Sugar Caramel
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped
- flaky salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper. Whisk together melted butter, sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla until combined.
- Whisk together flour, graham flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a medium bowl; add to butter mixture and fold in until almost incorporated. Add honey and mix until completely incorporated and dough comes together in large pieces.
- Press dough evenly into bottom of prepared pan. Bake crust for 20 to 24 minutes, until golden and set. Transfer to a wire rack and cool for 20 minutes.
- For the brown sugar caramel, combine butter and brown sugar in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil while stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and carefully stir in salt and vanilla. Pour warm caramel over graham layer, tilting the pan to coat evenly. Chill in the refrigerator for 45 minutes to set caramel.
- Place chopped chocolate in a double boiler or in a heat-proof bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water. Slowly melt the chocolate, stirring occasionally until glossy and smooth. Pour melted chocolate over caramel layer, smoothing with an offset spatula. Sprinkle bars with sea salt and chill for 1 hour to set chocolate.
- Carefully lift parchment and place bars on a cutting board; cut into squares with a sharp knife. Store leftover bars in an airtight container in the refrigerator; bring to room temperature before serving.
Graham Flour: If you don’t have graham flour on hand, substitute whole wheat flour, graham cracker crumbs, or use a total of 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour.
Keywords: Chocolate, Caramel, Graham