strawberry crostata with honey whipped cream
When flaky pie dough rolled out and topped with farm fresh strawberries meets a hot oven, it’s nothing short of magic. Sweet and buttery, with jammy strawberry filling and honey whipped cream, the crostata is my answer when I’m craving strawberry pie without the angst or intimidation of a double crust.
Served just slightly warm with dollops of whipped cream clouds, this is one blissfully sweet dessert that perfectly showcases spring strawberries.
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, divided
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp flour
- 2 Tbsp cornmeal
- 1/2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1–2 Tbsp vodka
- 1/4 cup strawberry preserves
- 2 1/2 cups strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp arrowroot starch
- 1 Tbsp milk
Honey Whipped Cream
- 1/2 cup cold heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp orange blossom honey
- For the crust, grate 1/4 cup butter into a small bowl; cut remaining 1/4 cup butter into small cubes and place in a second bowl; chill bowls in freezer for 15 minutes. Whisk together flour, cornmeal, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl; place bowl in freezer to chill for 15 minutes. Chill buttermilk and vodka in freezer for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle cubed butter over chilled flour mixture and toss with a spatula to coat. Use a pastry blender to cut in butter until the biggest pieces are the size of peas; fold in grated butter. Drizzle buttermilk over flour mixture; use a spatula to gather dough together until it forms large clumps. If needed, add vodka 1 tablespoon at a time, then gently knead just to form a ball. Wrap dough in plastic and flatten slightly to form a disc. Chill in the refrigerator at least 1 hour (or up to 2 days, or place in a freezer bag and freeze 1 to 2 months).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place dough on a floured board and dust dough with flour. Roll out dough (roll dough in one direction, then lift up dough and rotate a quarter turn and roll, then repeat) until dough is a 12-inch circle. If dough starts to stick, use a bench scraper to lift dough from board. Transfer dough to prepared baking sheet; chill in the refrigerator for 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place jam in a small bowl and microwave briefly (about 10 seconds); whisk to loosen. Brush half the jam over the dough, leaving a 1-inch border. Top with strawberry slices and brush with remaining jam. Combine sugar and arrowroot starch and sprinkle over fruit. Fold dough border up over strawberries, pleating to make an edge; brush with milk. Bake for 30 minutes, until crust is golden and fruit is tender. Let cool for 30 minutes before cutting and serving.
- For the honey whipped cream, pour heavy cream into a chilled mixer bowl fitted with wire whip attachment. Whip on medium speed until cream begins to thicken. Turn off mixer and add honey; whip the cream on medium-high speed until soft peaks form.
Arrowroot starch is a natural thickener and creates a smooth, shiny sauce. Available online or in the natural foods section.
- Calories: 290
- Carbohydrates: 33