Ultimate Crinkle Brownies (The Best!)
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy.
Ultimate crinkle brownies are the best rich and fudgy brownies! With perfect crinkle tops, these taste like your favorite box mix brownies, only better. 🙂 Delicious with a glass of milk, these brownies are a chocolate dream! Recipe makes 12 to 16 brownies.
Perfect Fudgy Crinkle Top Brownies
Prep ahead – Line the baking pan and measure out all of the ingredients in advance so you can work quickly. The batter should be warm all the way through the process of making this recipe for the classic shiny crinkle top!
Chocolate – The recipe is really all about the chocolate! 🙂 The brownie batter includes 6 ounces of semisweet chocolate (finely chopped) and unsweetened cocoa powder. Use the best quality semisweet chocolate you can in this recipe (I like Ghirardelli baking bars). Once the batter is mixed together, fold in 1 cup of semisweet chocolate chips or chocolate chunks.
Fudgy brownies – This recipe does not use chemical leaveners (there’s no baking powder or baking soda in these brownies) which equals super fudgy brownies!
Baking pan – Use an 8-inch square metal baking pan lined with parchment. Light-colored pans conduct heat evenly, and I recommend them for all brownie and bar recipes.
Here’s what you need to bake crinkle brownies:
- Flour – This recipe uses all-purpose flour.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder – Use Dutch processed baking cocoa for the richest chocolate flavor. I use and recommend Rodelle Gourmet Baking Cocoa.
- Salt – Enhances the chocolate flavor.
- Butter – Use unsalted butter, cut into small cubes. The butter is melted with the chocolate.
- Semisweet chocolate – I use and recommend high quality chocolate such as Ghirardelli semi-sweet baking bars or Guittard semisweet chocolate wafers (66% cacao).
- Sugar – The brownies are made with a blend of granulated sugar and light brown sugar.
- Eggs – This recipe uses two large eggs plus one large egg yolk. The extra egg yolk is the key to rich, fudgy brownies!
- Vanilla – Use pure vanilla extract.
- Semisweet chocolate chips – Chocolate chips are folded into the brownie batter. You can also use dark chocolate chips or chocolate chunks.
How to Make Ultimate Crinkle Brownies
- Gradually melt chopped chocolate and butter in a double boiler (or a heat-proof bowl over simmering water). Once the chocolate is completely melted and smooth, remove from the heat and whisk in sugars until smooth.
- Whisk in eggs and egg yolk one at a time until smooth, then whisk in vanilla. Gently fold in flour/cocoa mixture just until no streaks remain, then fold in chocolate chips (or chunks).
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan and smooth the top with an offset spatula. Tap the pan once to remove air bubbles.
- Bake these brownies until just set, 25 to 28 minutes. A toothpick inserted in the center should come out with a few crumbs attached.
- Let the brownies cool completely, then cut into squares with a sharp knife. Store brownies in an airtight container at room temperature.
More favorite brownie recipes:
- Fudgy Homemade Turtle Brownies
- Peanut Butter Cup Brownies
- Baileys Irish Cream Brownies
- Praline Brownies
- Salted Caramel Brownies
Did you try this Crinkle Brownie Recipe? Let me know by leaving a comment and rating below!Print
Ultimate Crinkle Brownies
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 12 to 16 brownies
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Ultimate crinkle brownies are the BEST rich and fudgy brownies! With perfect crinkle tops, these taste like a homemade version of box mix brownies! A tried-and-true homemade recipe. Recipe makes 12 to 16 brownies.
- 3/4 cup (105 g) flour
- 1/4 cup (24 g) unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 1/4 tsp (1.5 g) salt
- 1/2 cup (112 g) unsalted butter, cubed
- 6 oz (168 g) semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup (100 g) sugar
- 1/2 cup (92 g) lightly packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs (100 g), at room temperature
- 1 large egg yolk (17 g), at room temperature
- 1 1/2 tsp (6 g) vanilla extract
- 1 cup (170 g) semisweet chocolate chips (or chocolate chunks)
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line an 8-inch square metal baking pan with parchment paper. Whisk together flour, cocoa, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Place butter and chopped chocolate in a double boiler or in a heat-proof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Gradually melt the butter and chocolate, stirring until completely melted and smooth.
- Remove chocolate mixture from the heat and whisk in sugars until smooth. Whisk in eggs and egg yolk one at a time, until combined. Whisk in vanilla. Add flour mixture and fold in just until no streaks remain. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth the top. Gently tap pan once to remove air bubbles.
- Bake brownies for 25 to 28 minutes, until the top is set and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few crumbs attached. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Lift parchment and place brownies on a cutting board. Cut into squares with a sharp knife. Store leftover brownies in an airtight container at room temperature.
Semisweet chocolate: I use and recommend Ghirardelli semi-sweet baking bars or Guittard semisweet chocolate wafers.
Freeze Brownies: To freeze brownies, cool completely before wrapping with plastic wrap and foil. Freeze up to 3 months. Thaw brownies overnight in the refrigerator (still wrapped to prevent condensation), then bring to room temperature before serving.
The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products I use and love!
Keywords: Chocolate, Brownies, Crinkle Brownies, Fudgy Brownies
Just made these and the top didn’t get shiny and crackly. Anyone know what I did wrong?
Hi Jim! Did you make any substitutions or adjustments to the recipe? And what kind of chocolate did you use?
Hello! Are these brownies chewy as well or just fudgy?
Hi! I would say they are both chewy and fudgy! 🙂
These are, without a doubt, the best homemade brownies I have ever made!
So happy to hear that, thank you Maegan! 🙂
These brownies are incredible and definitely worthy of the “ultimate” title! Highly recommend!
Hi Shannon, I’m so happy to hear you loved these brownies!
These are the perfect fudgy brownie! I absolutely love the crinkle tops too. I can’t wait to make these again 🙂
Thank you so much, Lana! 🙂
This recipe was easy, beautiful, foolproof and absolutely delicious!!! THANK YOU!
Thank you so much, Lori! 🙂
Our favorite recipe for brownies! Love pairing these brownies with a scoop of ice cream 😋
Yum, that sounds delicious! Thanks for your feedback, Andrea! 🙂
These brownies are incredible! Supremely fudgy with perfect crinkles and plenty of rich chocolate. Highly recommend!
Thank you, Jenn! So glad you tried this recipe! 🙂
The absolute best brownies! They’re so fudgy and the crinkle tops are perfect!
Thank you, Kirstin! Your feedback is appreciated! 🙂
My absolute favorite brownie recipe! So easy to make and the brownies have perfect crinkle tops every time. Highly recommend!
Hi Steph, so happy to hear this recipe has been such a success for you!
I’m excited to try these brownies, but have run out of brown sugar. Could I use just superfine caster sugar for the entire recipe, or would this not work at all? Thank you, in advance!
Hi Bella! That should work, though the appearance of the brownies may change a bit with the swap. I can’t guarantee that they will still crinkle and have shiny tops as I haven’t tested the recipe with superfine sugar. Hope that helps!
Perfect crinkly top every time! This is the family’s “go-to” brownie recipe.
I love to hear that, thank you Kristin! 🙂
The absolute best brownies! Super rich and fudgy, with crinkle tops every time. Delicious with a glass of milk!
I’m so happy you loved these brownies! Thank you, Robin! 🙂
Hi, what percent chocolate should I use for this recipe? Please let me know. I want to try this recipe. 🙂
I recommend 70% chocolate. Happy baking! 🙂