Happy Monday! We’re kicking off the week with light and airy almond poppy seed muffins for the best breakfast! Perfumed with almond paste and drizzled with orange butter glaze, the texture of these bakery style muffins is an absolute dream.
Almond and orange make a perfect pair, and the combination of almond paste with pure almond extract give these glorious muffins incredible flavor. Bake up a batch to enjoy all week long!
Bakery Style Almond Poppy Seed Muffins
- Spray a cookie scoop with nonstick spray and use the scoop to evenly portion out the muffin batter.
- For bakery-style muffins with perfectly domed tops, start out baking at 425°F for a quick burst of heat (this helps give the muffins a nice lift!). Without opening the oven, reduce the temperature to 350°F and bake another 8 to 10 minutes, until set and a tester comes out clean or with a few crumbs attached.
- Cool muffins for 5 minutes in pan before cooling completely on a wire rack.
- To make the orange glaze, whisk together melted butter, salt, orange zest, orange juice, and powered sugar in a small bowl until smooth and creamy.
- Once the muffins are fully cooled, drizzle with orange butter glaze and enjoy!
Almond poppy seed muffins make the best breakfast. Perfumed with almond paste and drizzled with orange butter glaze, these tender muffins are delicious!
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 oz almond paste, cubed
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 Tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 tsp pure almond extract
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- pinch of salt
- 2 tsp fresh orange zest
- 2 Tbsp fresh orange juice
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 425°F and line a 12-cup standard muffin pan with baking cups; spray baking cups lightly with cooking spray.
- Combine sugar and almond paste in a food processor and pulse for 1 minute to combine. Transfer to a large bowl and whisk in flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Make a well in the center of the mixture. Combine buttermilk, yogurt, melted butter, egg, and almond extract in a medium bowl; add to flour mixture and fold in just until incorporated.
- Fill each baking cup 3/4 full of batter. Place muffin pan in the oven and bake for 5 minutes at 425°F. Reduce temperature to 350°F and continue baking 8 to 10 minutes (for a total baking time of 13 to 15 minutes), until muffins are golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few crumbs attached. Let muffins cool in pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes before removing from pan to cool.
- For the glaze, whisk together melted butter, salt, orange zest, orange juice, and powdered sugar in a small bowl. Drizzle glaze over muffins and and let set before serving.
Keywords: Almond, Poppy Seed, Orange, Muffins, Breakfast
Craving more muffins?
Best Christmas Cookies
5 Deliciously Festive Holiday Cookie Recipes!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy.