A batch of soft and golden banana crumb muffins are the best way to brighten up any morning. Sprinkled with brown sugar crumb topping and drizzled with vanilla bean glaze (optional but highly encouraged!), these simple and scrumptious muffins pair wonderfully with your morning coffee or tea.
With rich vanilla-banana flavor and an addictive brown sugar-cinnamon crumb topping, these may just be the very best banana muffins!
How to bake the best banana muffins
Use soft, ripe bananas and a high quality vanilla extract for the best flavor. Creamy vanilla yogurt amps up the both the flavor and texture of these muffins, and helps keep them soft and moist.
For tall, bakery-style muffins start with high heat: Fill the baking cups 3/4 cup and sprinkle evenly with crumb topping. Place your muffin pan in the oven and bake for 5 minutes at 425°F for a quick burst of heat to give the muffins a nice lift, then reduce oven temperature to 350°F and bake another 10 to 12 minutes or until set.
Brighten up breakfast with banana crumb muffins! Crowned with brown sugar crumb topping and drizzled with vanilla glaze, these are the BEST banana muffins!
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana
- 3/4 cup low-fat vanilla yogurt, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste (or extract)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 425°F and line a 12-cup standard muffin pan with baking cups; spray baking cups lightly with cooking spray. For the crumb topping, combine brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt in a small bowl; add melted butter and vanilla, and toss mixture with a fork until crumbly. Chill topping in the freezer until needed.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl; make a well in the center of the mixture. Combine mashed banana, yogurt, melted butter, egg, and vanilla in a medium bowl; add to flour mixture and fold in just until incorporated.
- Fill each baking cup 3/4 full of batter and sprinkle evenly with crumb topping. Place muffin pan in the oven and bake for 5 minutes at 425°F. Reduce temperature to 350°F and continue baking 10 to 12 minutes (for a total baking time of 15 to 17 minutes), until muffins are golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few crumbs attached. Let muffins cool in pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes before removing from pan to cool.
- For the glaze, whisk together powdered sugar, salt, vanilla bean paste, and milk in a small bowl. Drizzle glaze over muffins and let set before serving.
Keywords: Banana, Banana Muffin, Crumb Topping, Breakfast