toffee banana bread
The best way to transform the humble banana bread into something truly spectacular is with toffee bits and a splash of dark rum (or bourbon, if you prefer). A twist on my classic Greek yogurt banana bread, each tender slice is studded with toasty pecans and a ribbon of toffee bits.
And here’s a tip: a drizzle of homemade salted caramel sauce makes the absolute best topping for this bread! Served up slightly warm with your morning coffee (or as a late night snack), you simply can’t miss with toffee banana bread.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana
- 3/4 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 Tbsp dark rum
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup toffee bits
- 1/4 cup toffee bits
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper, letting excess extend over sides of pan. Spray parchment paper lightly with nonstick spray.
- For the bread, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the center of the mixture. Combine mashed banana, yogurt, melted butter, egg, rum, and vanilla in a medium bowl; add to flour mixture and fold in until almost combined. Fold in pecans.
- Scrape half the batter into prepared pan and smooth with an offset spatula. Tap pan sharply to remove air bubbles, and sprinkle 1/2 cup toffee bits over batter. Add remaining batter, smooth with an offset spatula, and tap pan sharply. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup toffee bits.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, until bread is golden and springs back to the touch (if desired, tent with foil after 40 minutes of baking time to prevent over-browning). Bread is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few crumbs attached. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes; carefully lift bread from pan and cool completely.
Keywords: Banana, Banana Bread, Toffee, Toffee Bits, Breakfast