Super moist and studded with rich chocolate chips, you’ll love this easy chocolate chip banana bread! With plenty of chocolate, this Greek yogurt banana bread comes together in 20 minutes (thank you, melted butter!) and is seriously delicious. Recipe makes 1 loaf and freezes well.
Ideal for breakfast or a snack, this easy loaf bakes up soft and moist with the perfect tender crumb.
Filled with ripe bananas and rich semi-sweet chocolate chips, it’s no secret that this is the best banana bread recipe!
How to Bake the MOST Decadent Chocolate Desserts
Banana Bread Ingredients
To make this simple banana bread, you’ll need:
- Flour – Regular all-purpose flour is perfect in this recipe.
- Granulated sugar – Sweetens the bread.
- Baking powder, baking soda, and salt
- Bananas – Use ripe, speckled bananas for the best flavor.
- Greek yogurt (or sour cream) – Makes this banana bread incredibly moist and tender. I love the creaminess and subtle tang of Greek yogurt, which is a nice complement to the sweet bananas and rich chocolate.
- Unsalted butter – Melted butter gives this banana bread rich, classic flavor and makes this an easy stir together recipe, no electric mixer required.
- Egg – One large egg adds richness and binds the batter together.
- Vanilla extract – Pure vanilla extract adds rich flavor to the bread. I use and love Rodelle Gourmet Extract.
- Semisweet chocolate chips (or dark chocolate chips) – Fold chocolate chips into the batter and sprinkle more on the top before baking for plenty of chocolate in every bite.
Tips for Perfect Banana Bread
Room temperature ingredients – Bring Greek yogurt (or sour cream) and egg to room temperature before baking. Room temperature ingredients incorporate more easily into the batter and give this quick bread a tender crumb.
Bananas – My favorite bananas for banana bread are ripe and speckled (not blackened). For this recipe, you’ll use 1 cup mashed ripe banana. This is usually about 2 large bananas, or 3 smaller bananas. Place the ripe bananas in a bowl and mash with the back of a fork or potato masher until completely mashed.
Mix gently – Don’t overmix the batter! Gently fold the wet and dry ingredients together until almost incorporated, then gently fold in chocolate chips. The finished batter is textured and visibly lumpy.
Prefer banana muffins? Try my reader-favorite banana crumb muffins with vanilla glaze!
How to Make Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Whisk together flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
Combine mashed banana, yogurt, melted butter, egg, and vanilla in a medium bowl. Whisk until combined.
Add wet ingredients to flour mixture and fold in until almost combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
Scrape batter into prepared pan and smooth with an offset spatula. Sprinkle chocolate chips over the batter.
Bake banana bread at 350°F for 55 to 60 minutes. Bread is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few crumbs attached (baking time may vary based on moisture content of the bananas).
If you feel the top of the bread is browning too quickly, loosely tent with a piece of aluminum foil in the last 15 minutes of baking.
Store banana bread tightly wrapped in foil for 1 to 2 days at room temperature, or refrigerate for up to 4 days (reheat in the oven before serving for the best texture).
How to Freeze Banana Bread
Cool bread completely on a wire rack, then place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and freeze flat for 1 hour. After 1 hour, wrap the bread well with a layer of plastic wrap and a layer of foil (or place in a freezer bag). Freeze banana bread for up to 2 months.
When you’re ready to enjoy, defrost the banana bread in the refrigerator or at room temperature (still wrapped to prevent condensation from forming).
To freeze banana bread slices, use a serrated knife to slice the bread and wrap each slice in plastic wrap. Store the slices in a freezer bag for up to 2 months.
Banana Bread Variations
Here are some of my favorite ways to upgrade this easy banana bread recipe and make it your own:
- Nuts – Fold in 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts.
- Toffee Chocolate – Use a mixture of toffee bits and semisweet chocolate chips for toffee chocolate banana bread!
- Spice – Add a teaspoon of cinnamon or chai spice to the batter, or combine 1 tablespoon sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and sprinkle the mixture over the top of the batter.
- Nutella – Spoon half the batter into the loaf pan, then top with dollops of Nutella. Gently swirl Nutella into the batter with a toothpick or wooden skewer. Spoon remaining batter into the pan and smooth with an offset spatula.
- Peanut Butter – Spoon half the batter into the loaf pan, then top with dollops of peanut butter. Gently swirl peanut butter into the batter with a toothpick or wooden skewer. Spoon remaining batter into the pan and smooth with an offset spatula. Sprinkle with chocolate chips and bake!
More easy banana bread recipes to try:
Did you try this Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Recipe? Let me know by leaving a comment and rating below!Print
The BEST chocolate chip banana bread recipe! Super moist and studded with rich chocolate chips, you’ll love this easy banana bread. Recipe makes 1 loaf and freezes well.
- 1 1/2 cups (210 g) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (150 g) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp (5 g) baking powder
- 1 tsp (6 g) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (3 g) salt
- 1 cup (240 g) mashed ripe banana
- 3/4 cup (180 g) plain Greek yogurt, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup (56 g) unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 large egg (50 g), lightly beaten, at room temperature
- 2 tsp (8 g) vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup (128 g) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup (42 g) semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper, letting excess extend over sides of pan. Spray parchment paper lightly with nonstick spray.
- Make banana bread: Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the center of the mixture. Combine mashed banana, yogurt, melted butter, egg, and vanilla in a medium bowl; add to flour mixture and fold in until almost combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan and smooth with an offset spatula. Tap pan sharply to remove air bubbles and sprinkle chocolate chips over the batter.
- Bake banana bread for 55 to 60 minutes, until bread is golden and springs back to the touch (if desired, tent with foil after 40 minutes of baking time to prevent over-browning). Bread is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few crumbs attached. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes; carefully lift bread from pan and cool completely.
- Store banana bread tightly wrapped in foil for 1 to 2 days, or refrigerate for up to 4 days (rewarm before serving).
Greek Yogurt: If you don’t have Greek yogurt on hand, you can also use sour cream.
Chocolate Chips: Semisweet or dark chocolate chips are both delicious in this recipe. You can use full size chips or mini chips, or a mix!
Baking Time: Will vary based on moisture content of the bananas. Begin checking bread after 55 minutes. If using bananas that were previously frozen, baking time may be up to 75 minutes.
Frozen Bananas: To use frozen bananas, thaw the bananas first and drain off any excess liquid. Mash bananas gently and proceed as directed in the recipe. Keep in mind that using frozen bananas will increase baking time.
Freeze Banana Bread Slices: Use a serrated knife to slice the bread and wrap each slice in plastic wrap. Store the slices in a freezer bag for up to 2 months.
The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products I use and love!
Keywords: Banana, Banana Bread, Quick Bread, Chocolate, Chocolate Chip
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy.