bourbon vanilla banana bread
Meet your new favorite breakfast: bourbon vanilla banana bread! Brown sugar, bourbon, and vanilla flavor this loaf and take the classic banana bread to new heights. To jazz up the top of the loaf, a sprinkling of sugary crisp candied walnuts add an addictive crunch to each tender slice.
My favorite way to eat banana bread is with a generous slather of butter or mascarpone. And unlike most things in life, banana bread actually gets better with age, so you may find yourself in the kitchen at midnight, carving off a sliver before bed when you simply need a sweet bite.
- 1 1/2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp hot water
- 1 1/4 cups walnuts
- 2 Tbsp turbinado sugar
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups mashed ripe banana
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted and slightly cooled
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 3 Tbsp bourbon
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. For the candied walnuts, whisk together sugar and hot water in a small bowl until sugar is dissolved. Add walnuts and turbinado sugar; toss to coat. Spread the walnuts in a single layer on prepared baking sheet and bake until crisp, about 8 to 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Spray a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray. For the banana bread, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the center of the mixture. Combine banana, sugars, coconut oil, buttermilk, egg, bourbon, and vanilla in a medium bowl; add to flour mixture and fold in just until combined.
- Coarsely chop 1/2 cup candied walnuts and fold into batter. Spoon batter into prepared pan and smooth top with an offset spatula. Halve remaining candied walnuts and sprinkle over batter.
- Bake for 30 minutes; rotate pan and tent with foil to prevent over browning. Continue baking another 30 minutes. Bread is done when golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs attached. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes; carefully remove bread from pan and cool completely.
- Calories: 270
- Carbohydrates: 35
Keywords: Bourbon, Vanilla, Banana, Banana Bread, Quick Bread