dark chocolate & hazelnut nougatine cookies

When I met Rowena from Apron and Sneakers in Rome last month, she introduced me to one of her favorite Italian chocolates, Venchi Nougatine. It was love at first bite for me – the caramelized ground Piedmont hazelnuts covered in 56% dark chocolate are absolutely divine. Needless to say, I visited Venchi Bologna later in the trip to pick up a few more packages of Nougatine to bring home with me.

For these tender and chewy cookies, I mixed in a handful of coarsely chopped Nougatine and then aged the dough overnight to allow the flavors to blend (stash the dough in the back of your refrigerator so you won’t be tempted to dig in early!). The caramelized hazelnuts add a nice brittle texture to the cookies; these are a must-try for chocolate-hazelnut lovers! Now that my jet lag has subsided, I’m ready to fly back just for Nougatine – place your order in the comments ;).

Dark Chocolate & Hazelnut Nougatine Cookies
1 cup plus 2 Tbsp flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/3 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup (100 g) Venchi Nougatine, roughly chopped

Whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl. Beat butter, sugars, and vanilla in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until creamy. Add egg and beat until combined. Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour mixture; beat just until incorporated. Fold in Nougatine. Cover dough and refrigerate 24 hours.

When ready to bake cookies, remove dough from refrigerator and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper. Form 1 1/4″ balls of dough and place two inches apart on prepared baking sheets.

Bake, rotating pans halfway through, for 9 to 10 minutes or until golden. Cool for 2 minutes on baking sheets, then transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days.

Yield – 36 cookies (serving size: 1 cookie)

Comments

Oh my! I adore how you brought home a piece of Italy to share with us!
    What an amazing cookie for a splendid food memory! Now if I could only locate some of those nougatines!

How on earth have I never heard of nougatine before in all my years traveling to Rome? I want to fly there JUST to buy this, but am SO relieved you can order it online. I am certain these cookies are incredible. So glad you had a great time in Italy and how fun that you met Rowena!

Laura, it makes me so happy that you loved the nougatines enough to buy some more to take home and you even used them in a cookie recipe!!! What a talented person you are! My pack is almost finishing because once I start eating one, I end up eating way too much! I’m currently using them as a prize and incentive for my daughter to finish her meals. It’s working very well. :-) Going back to Eataly soon again to stock up so I can also try your recipe. Thanks!

I’m so jealous! My sister worked in Italy for almost two years and last year when I visited her back in Romania she had kept some of these nougatine for me. Oh my! They are addictive! Now I want some more!
    Great idea to add them to cookies, mmm

What a delightfully delicious cookie! I’d be happy to go with your to Italy to bring back some nougatine…I’m just SURE you’ll need my assistance, right???

I have a couple of great Italian markets here in Mpls and I wonder if I could find Nougatine at one of them? After laying eyes on these cookies, the search is on!

I was looking forward to reading this post from picture you posted! Ahh you need special Nougatine to make this!? Okay, I’m coming with you! I’ll bring extra suitcase for all the goodies. Seriously, your cookies look so delicious. With the dark background and lighting on the cookies, this shot is one of my favorite pictures of yours. Wish I could make these here.

I think you’ll need help carrying all the nougatine back with you so I’ll generously volunteer to fly back with you. :)

Wow, these cookies look awesome–I don’t get excited by cookies very often but your description has me wishing I had a batch with me now. :)

9. Lora @cakeduchess says

Venchi makes the most incredible chocolate. There is a gelateria here that sells their chocolate (lucky me!).But I wouldn’t mind going back to Italian to get a box;)LOVE these cookies, Laura:)

I’ve never heard of Nougatine (not surprisingly, I’ve barely been out of California, haha) but it sounds like a scrumptious candy, and then put into these dark chocolate cookies–heavenly! I’m so happy you had an awesome trip to Rome, girl!

The texture of these looks absolutely perfect! I can tell just by looking at these (oh yeah, and from the fact that they contain both chocolate and hazelnut…my favorite combination) that I would need to eat at least 5 in one sitting.

Hi, I like hazelnuts and I really like your cookies. I love making cookeis, especially at Chirstmas time, and give them away as present… this is what we do in Italy.
    Ciao.