brown butter chocolate chip cookies
Brown butter chocolate chip cookies make the best chocolate chip cookies! Soft and chewy, with the perfect ratio of chocolate to cookie (hint: the more chocolate, the better!), these cookies are everything.
Brown butter, plenty of brown sugar, rich chocolate, and a generous shower of flaky salt take the classic chocolate chip cookie to new heights!
Perfect Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
Brown Butter – Brown butter adds rich caramel flavor to these cookies! To brown butter, cook butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until it foams, turns clear, and then turns a medium brown, about 5 minutes. Pour brown butter into a shallow glass bowl or glass measuring cup and chill in the freezer until solidified, about 45 to 60 minutes. Once the brown butter is solid, transfer to your mixer and beat with the sugars until creamy.
To make brown butter ahead: Once solidified, cover the bowl or measuring cup tightly with plastic and store overnight in the refrigerator. On baking day, bring brown butter to room temperature before using.
Brown Sugar – Light brown sugar or dark brown sugar are both delicious in these cookies. If you opt for dark brown sugar, the cookies will bake up slightly darker from the additional molasses.
Chocolate – The secret to perfect chocolate chip cookies is to use a mix of semisweet chocolate chips and chopped chocolate.
Chocolate chips have stabilizers, meaning the chips soften during the baking process, but don’t completely melt, ensuring that the cookies don’t flatten out. Semisweet chocolate baking bars (I love Ghirardelli!) add plenty of rich, gooey chocolate to each bite – use a serrated knife to chop the chocolate bars into chunks.
Flaky Salt – A shower of flaky salt enhances the rich chocolate and caramel notes of these cookies. Sprinkle the cookies with flaky salt as they cool.
Chill – Chill this cookie dough for 2 to 3 hours before baking. The chill time intensifies the flavors and ensures that the cookies don’t overspread in the oven.
Bake – Bake the cookies for 11 to 12 minutes, rotating baking pans halfway through, until the edges and tops are golden and just set. Remove pans from the oven and let the cookies cool for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.
Make Ahead – These cookies can be prepped ahead. Simply scoop the dough out onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and freeze for 1 hour, then transfer the dough balls to an airtight container and freeze up to 2 months. Bake cookies directly from the freezer, adding 1-2 minutes to baking time.
Freeze Cookies – To freeze the baked chocolate chip cookies, let cookies cool completely, then transfer to an airtight container in the freezer. Rewarm cookies in a 350 degree oven for 5 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with flaky salt and enjoy with a glass of milk!
The BEST brown butter chocolate chip cookies! Filled with rich chocolate chips, you’ll love these soft and chewy chocolate chip cookies.
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 2/3 cups flour
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup light or dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped
- flaky salt
- Cook butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until it foams, turns clear, and then turns a deep brown, about 5 minutes. Pour browned butter into a shallow glass bowl or glass measuring cup and chill in the freezer until solidified and the texture of room temperature butter, about 45 minutes to an hour.
- Whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Beat solidified brown butter and sugars in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until creamy; beat in egg, egg yolk, and vanilla until combined. Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour mixture; beat just until incorporated. Fold in chocolate chips. Cover dough and chill in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Form 1 1/2-inch balls of dough and place two inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Top cookies with chopped chocolate, pressing gently to adhere.
- Bake, rotating pans halfway through, for 11 to 12 minutes, until edges are golden and set. Sprinkle cookies with flaky salt and let cool 10 minutes on baking sheets, then transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Chocolate: If you prefer to use only chocolate chips in this recipe, fold 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips into the dough, and use 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips to top the cookies before baking.
Make Ahead: Scoop the dough out onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Top with chocolate chips. Freeze for 1 hour, then transfer the dough balls to an airtight container and freeze up to 2 months. Bake cookies directly from the freezer, adding 1-2 minutes to baking time.
Freeze Cookies: To freeze the baked chocolate chip cookies, let cookies cool completely, then transfer to an airtight container in the freezer and freeze up to 2 months. Rewarm cookies in a 350 degree oven for 5 minutes or until heated through.
The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products I use and love!
Keywords: Brown Butter, Chocolate Chip, Chocolate, Cookies