My dream coffee cake is golden and buttery, with a sweet jam swirl and crumb topping. This apricot almond coffee cake is everything and more – rich and finely crumbed, with a texture reminiscent of the best bakery coffee cake.
Apricot and almond make an irresistible pair in the breezy cake, especially when served just warm with a side of coffee (but of course!). With a tangy apricot jam swirl and fragrant almond topping, this plush cake is exceptional to the last crumb.
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 3 oz almond paste, crumbled
- 1/8 tsp pure almond extract
- 2 Tbsp cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp pure almond extract
- 1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup low-fat buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup apricot jam
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray an 8-inch square baking pan with nonstick spray; dust lightly with flour. For the topping, combine sugar, flour, cinnamon, and crumbled almond paste in a medium bowl. Add almond extract and cubed butter; toss with a fork until mixture is crumbly. Chill until ready to use.
- For the cake, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Beat butter, sugar, and almond extract in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add egg and yolk one at a time and beat well. Combine yogurt and buttermilk in a small bowl. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture in three additions, alternating with yogurt mixture (begin and end with flour mixture).
- Scrape batter into prepared pan and smooth with an offset spatula. Place jam in a small bowl and microwave briefly (about 10 seconds); whisk to loosen. Dollop jam by teaspoons over batter and swirl together with a toothpick or wooden skewer; tap pan sharply to remove air bubbles. Sprinkle with chilled topping. Bake for 40 to 44 minutes, until coffee cake is golden, springs back to the touch, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Calories: 350
- Carbohydrates: 50
Keywords: Apricot, Almond