Apricot Almond Coffee Cake
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy.
My dream coffee cake is golden and buttery, with a sweet jam swirl and crumb topping. This apricot almond coffee cake is everything and more – rich and finely crumbed, with a texture reminiscent of the best bakery coffee cake.
Apricot and almond make an irresistible pair in the breezy cake, especially when served just warm with a side of coffee (but of course!). With a tangy apricot jam swirl and fragrant almond topping, this plush cake is exceptional to the last crumb.
More delicious homemade coffee cake recipes:
- Meyer Lemon Coffee Cake
- Brown Butter Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cake
- Brown Butter Cherry Coffee Cake
- Berry Streusel Coffee Cake
Did you try this Apricot Coffee Cake Recipe? Let me know by leaving a comment and rating below!Print
Apricot Almond Coffee Cake
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 44 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 9 minutes
- Yield: 9 servings
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
With a sweet jam swirl and crumb topping, this apricot almond coffee cake is golden and buttery, with a texture reminiscent of the best bakery coffee cake.
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 3 oz almond paste, crumbled
- 1/8 tsp pure almond extract
- 2 Tbsp cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp pure almond extract
- 1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup low-fat buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup apricot jam
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray an 8-inch square baking pan with nonstick spray; dust lightly with flour.
- For the crumb topping, combine sugar, flour, cinnamon, and crumbled almond paste in a medium bowl. Add almond extract and cubed butter; toss with a fork until mixture is crumbly. Chill until ready to use.
- For the cake, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Beat butter, sugar, and almond extract in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add egg and yolk one at a time and beat well. Combine yogurt and buttermilk in a small bowl. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture in three additions, alternating with yogurt mixture (begin and end with flour mixture).
- Scrape batter into prepared pan and smooth with an offset spatula. Place jam in a small bowl and microwave briefly (about 10 seconds); whisk to loosen. Dollop jam by teaspoons over batter and swirl together with a toothpick or wooden skewer; tap pan sharply to remove air bubbles. Sprinkle with chilled topping.
- Bake for 40 to 44 minutes, until coffee cake is golden, springs back to the touch, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for at least 1 hour before serving.
Keywords: Apricot, Almond, Coffee Cake, Breakfast
SO DELICIOUS!!!! I added about 3 – 4 oz almond crumbled paste to the butter and sugar as it was mixing, stirred in c1/2 cup chopped dried apricots at the end, and topped the streusel wirh sliced almonds. I cannot tell you how good it was! And it was better on day 3 than day 1!!! I cannot tell you how long it would last as it was devoured by day 3!
Made this today while watching our tropical storm pass by… too much rain watching and not enough oven watching and its a bit over cooked. Dang. I used fresh apricots… still a very good recipe.
Just made apricot preserves, this recipe look tempting. Best coffee cake I’ve ever baked. I always have something freshly baked for our coffee in the morning. I used 3 tbsp finely ground almonds instead of almond paste, no problem. Removed from oven when just barely done, perfect! Thank you, Carla
Thank you Carla! I’m so happy you loved this recipe! 🙂
Would love a square of this coffee cake for breakfast tomorrow! Adore !
This has all the flavors I love and I really like the almond paste in the topping. 🙂
Coffee cakes are the best! Love the flavors your using! Seriously salivating over the topping it looks soooo good!
The top of this coffee cake looks incredible and I love the apricots!!
I love the swirl of jam throughout this coffee cake. Just enough for a burst of delicious flavor in every bite! The texture looks just perfect—a fabulous weekend treat.
The topping with almond paste looks divine! Coffee cake always makes for a fabulous day!
Yummmmmm, two of my favorite flavors!
Oh sounds fabulous, looking forward to that recipe! 🙂