Baked until lightly crisped and golden, these toasted almond biscotti are the ideal cookie for dunking in your mid-morning coffee or serving up alongside a bowl of espresso ice cream. In my take on the classic almond biscotti, a blend of almond paste, Amaretto, and almond extract infuses the cookies with a lovely almond flavor.
Topped with sliced almonds and a sprinkle of sugar, these cookies are the perfect little bite to sweeten your day.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 Tbsp Amaretto
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 4 oz almond paste, grated
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 2 Tbsp sliced almonds
- 2 tsp sugar
- Whisk together melted butter, sugar, Amaretto, and almond extract in a large mixing bowl. Whisk in eggs one at a time until smooth. Stir in flour, baking powder, and salt until almost fully incorporated; fold in almond paste and sliced almonds. Cover dough and chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Divide dough in half and shape dough into 2 (10-by-4-inch) loaves on prepared baking sheets. Top with sliced almonds, pressing gently into dough, and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 24 to 25 minutes, until pale golden. Carefully transfer loaves to a wire rack and cool for 15 minutes.
- Using a serrated knife, cut loaves into 1/2-inch slices. Place slices cut side down on baking sheets; bake 10 minutes. Turn slices over and bake for 10 minutes more or until golden. Cool completely on wire racks. Store at room temperature in an airtight container.