With the holiday weekend in sight, my brain is in absolute summer mode. I’m already thinking of my favorite things: refreshing popsicles by the pool, mornings spent blueberry picking, and a profusion of fruit desserts. Pound cake with strawberries is such a quintessential summer dessert; this plush cake is my spin on the classic.
Fall-apart tender and perfumed with rich vanilla bean, this cake is divine. Strawberry sauce adds a pretty swirl to each slice, and the brown butter-vanilla glaze is not to be missed. Here’s to easy summer living, and cake!
- 1 1/2 cups sliced strawberries
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp water
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
- 3/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup plain fat-free yogurt, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp milk
- For the sauce, combine strawberries and sugar in a saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. When mixture begins to bubble, whisk water and cornstarch together and add to saucepan, stirring until thickened, 1 or 2 minutes. Remove from heat and strain mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl, pressing on solids. Discard solids and let sauce cool to room temperature.
- For the cake, preheat oven to 350°F and spray an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Beat butter and vanilla bean seeds in a large mixer bowl at medium speed; beat in sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla until combined. Combine yogurt and buttermilk in a small bowl. Reduce speed to low and add half of flour mixture, beating just to combine. Add yogurt mixture, then finish with remaining flour mixture.
- Pour half the batter into prepared pan; dollop cooled strawberry sauce by teaspoons over batter and swirl together with a toothpick or wooden skewer. Top with remaining batter; smooth with an offset spatula. Bake for 1 hour, or until cake springs back to the touch and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few crumbs attached. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes; carefully remove cake from pan and cool completely on wire rack.
- For the glaze, cook butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until it foams, turns clear, and then turns a deep brown, about 6 minutes. Whisk together brown butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk in a small bowl. Spread glaze over cooled cake with an offset spatula and let set before serving. Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature.
To brown butter in the microwave, place butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave for 3 minutes, or until butter is brown.
- Calories: 200