Bright and tangy Meyer lemon curd meets buttery crust and crumbs in these blissful bars. Essentially a cross between lemon bars and crumb bars, creamy homemade lemon curd is sandwiched between golden crumbles for one scrumptious treat.
Dusted with a snowy shower of powdered sugar, these sunny bars are a must bake if you adore Meyer lemons or lemon desserts.
- 1 1/2 tsp Meyer lemon zest
- 6 Tbsp Meyer lemon juice
- 6 Tbsp sugar
- pinch of salt
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 10 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 6 Tbsp sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp Meyer lemon zest
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- powdered sugar, for dusting
- For the curd, whisk together Meyer lemon zest, juice, sugar, salt, and eggs in a heavy saucepan. Cook over moderately low heat, whisking constantly, until slightly thickened. Add butter a few pieces at a time, whisking constantly until melted, before adding more butter. Continue until curd is smooth and thickened, and coats the back of a spoon (about 5 minutes total). Transfer curd to a bowl, press a piece of plastic directly on the surface, and chill until cold - at least one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line an 8-inch square metal baking pan with parchment paper. Whisk together melted butter, sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, and lemon zest until combined. Whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl; add to butter mixture and fold in until incorporated. Reserve 1/2 cup of dough for topping (keep chilled); press remaining dough evenly into bottom of prepared pan. Bake crust for 14 to 16 minutes, until lightly golden and set. Transfer to a wire rack and cool for 15 minutes.
- Spoon lemon curd over cooled crust and smooth with an offset spatula; crumble reserved dough over filling. Bake for another 30 to 32 minutes, until topping is golden. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack, then cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least one hour. Just before cutting, chill in the freezer for 10 minutes. Carefully lift parchment and place bars on a cutting board; cut into squares with a sharp knife and dust with powdered sugar. Store leftover bars in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 3 days.