meyer lemon brown butter bars
If you’ve ever wondered what sunshine tastes like, look no further than these sweet and tangy Meyer lemon brown butter bars. Bright and bursting with Meyer lemon zest and juice, I’ve never liked a lemon bar more!
The Best Lemon Bars
The secret to the best lemon squares is pairing the fruity Meyer lemon filling with a press-in brown butter shortbread crust. Brown butter is the fastest way to add depth of flavor to any recipe, giving these bars a richness that balances nicely with the lemon filling.
Perfectly sweet-tart without any pucker, serve the chilled lemon bars with a generous dusting of powdered sugar and enjoy!Print
Sweet and tangy Meyer lemon brown butter bars make the best treat! You’ll love these easy lemon bars with a generous dusting of powdered sugar.
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp fresh Meyer lemon zest
- 1/2 cup fresh Meyer lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp flour, sifted
- pinch of salt
- powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper.
- Make the crust: Cook butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until it foams, turns clear, and then turns a medium brown, about 5 minutes. Pour browned butter into a large mixing bowl and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Add sugar, vanilla, and salt; whisk in until smooth. Fold in flour until incorporated.
- Press dough evenly into bottom of prepared baking pan. Bake the crust for 22 to 26 minutes, until the top is set and the edges are golden.
- Make the filling: When the crust is almost finished baking, lightly whisk eggs in a large bowl. Whisk in sugar, Meyer lemon zest and juice, flour, and salt until smooth and fully incorporated.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325°F and slowly pour filling over hot crust. Carefully return pan to oven and continue baking until filling is firm, 22 to 25 minutes. Remove bars from the oven and cool for 1 hour on a wire rack, then chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- To serve, carefully lift parchment and place bars on a cutting board. Cut into squares with a sharp knife and dust squares with powdered sugar just before serving.
To freeze lemon bars: Once the bars are sliced (skip the powdered sugar topping), arrange them in a single layer on a baking sheet and freeze until firm, 1-2 hours. Once the bars are frozen, wrap individually in plastic wrap and store them in a freezer bag up to 2 months. Thaw the bars overnight in the refrigerator, and dust with powdered sugar before serving.
Keywords: Meyer Lemon, Lemon, Lemon Bar, Lemon Square