Why do we like chocolate chip cookies so much? It’s certainly not for the originality but for the familiarity – you bite into a chocolate chip cookie with a certain level of expectation, a sense of what’s before you.
These cookies don’t detour too far from the familiar. The subtle nuances of nutty brown butter, dark brown sugar, and a shower of flaky salt only serve to enhance the classic chocolate chip cookie. Soft and chewy with nice height (chilling the dough elevates both cookie flavor and structure), these cookies are proof that classic is always in style.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 2/3 cups flour
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- flaky salt
- Cook butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until it foams, turns clear, and then turns a deep brown, about 6 minutes. Pour browned butter into a glass measuring cup and chill in the freezer until solidified, about 45 minutes to an hour.
- Whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Beat solidified brown butter and dark brown sugar in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until creamy; beat in egg and vanilla until combined. Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour mixture; beat just until incorporated. Fold in chocolate chips. Cover dough and chill in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (If cookie dough has chilled overnight, let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before baking). Line two baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper. Form 1 1/2-inch balls of dough and place two inches apart on prepared baking sheets; flatten mounds slightly.
- Top cookies with remaining chocolate chips, pressing to adhere. Sprinkle with sea salt and bake, rotating pans halfway through, for 8 minutes, until edges are set. Cool for 4 minutes on baking sheets, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.