My memory of this cake stretches back to childhood; it was one of the first recipes I ever baked. I loved scattering chocolate chips over the vanilla scented batter, stealthily pocketing a handful for later snacking. Next I’d pop the pan into the oven, then wait expectantly for the comforting scent of chocolate and cinnamon to fill the air.
When my friend Roxana suggested we share a favorite family recipe to celebrate the Chocolate Party‘s one year anniversary, I immediately thought of this unassuming cake, the height of simplicity. Though more than 10 years have passed since I last pulled out the well-used recipe card, the first bite of fluffy cake reminded me of reuniting with an old friend.
Join our celebration by sharing your family’s favorite chocolate dessert for the chance to win a fabulous prize – see the details below.
Chocolate Chip Cinnamon Cake
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt, at room temperature
1/4 cup low-fat milk, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Preheat oven to 350°F and spray a 13 x 9-inch baking dish with nonstick spray. Whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl. Beat butter and sugar in a large mixer bowl on medium speed until pale and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time and beat well; beat in vanilla. Combine yogurt and milk in a small bowl. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture in 2 additions, alternating with yogurt mixture.
Spread batter evenly into prepared baking dish; smooth top with an offset spatula. Scatter chocolate chips evenly over batter; combine sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl, then sprinkle over the top. Bake, rotating pan halfway through, for 24 to 25 minutes or until edges pull away from sides of pan and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few crumbs attached. Remove from oven to cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
Just before serving, place pan in the freezer for 10 minutes to set topping. Use a sharp knife to cut into squares. Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days.
Yield – 20 servings
Calories – 210 (per slice)
Carbs – 28
How to participate in September’s Chocolate Party:
1. Make your family’s favorite chocolate dessert and share it with us for a chance to win one of the 6 great prizes offered by our sponsors. You can also add recipes that have been previously shared on your blog (5 recipes maximum). If you do not have a blog, email firstname.lastname@example.org your recipe with your own photo (it can be a photo snapped with your phone, as long as it is your photo) and we will create a page with your recipe.
2. Once your recipe is published, add your link to the widget on Roxana’s Home Baking.
3. To be eligible to win one of the amazing prizes offered by the generous sponsors, please add the following in your post:
4. (Optional) Help us spread the word on social media for a chance to win one $100 Visa gift card, offered by Roxana’s Home Baking. You can enter here. New entries are added every day, so check often!
5. (optional) Add the party logo or this collage to your blog post or sidebar. Or both!
One (1) sugary gift basket from Imperial Sugar: custom sugar sack apron, pack of 5 (2 lb) granulated sugar bags, 8 (1 lb) brown sugar boxes and 8 (1 lb) powdered sugar bags (valued at $75)
One (1) 10-piece nonstick bakeware baking set from Calphalon (valued at $100)
One (1) special edition brewing system from Keurig (valued at $ $150)
One (1) honey sweet basket from Honey Ridge Farms (valued at $100)
One (1) box filled with OXO Good Cookie tools from OXO (valued at $110)
One (1) gift basket from Land O Lakes® Butter containing: Land O Lakes® Butter, set of mixing bowls, cake carrier, measuring cups, baking spatulas, Silpat pan liner (valued at $120)
One (1) $100 Visa gift card offered by Roxana’s Home Baking
Giveaway ends on Tuesday, October 1, 2013. Six winners will be selected by random.org. Open to US residents only.