apricot-glazed coffeecake

Today I’m happy to share this beautiful apricot-glazed coffeecake with you, a recipe from Red Star Yeast. Trying this recipe gave me the chance to test out Red Star PLATINUM, an instant yeast with dough enhancers that shortens rising time while giving your breads more volume. The yeast also gives breads a light and airy texture, so don’t be surprised if you find yourself baking bread weekly!

Apricot-Glazed Coffeecake | Tutti Dolci

This yeast bread is enriched with eggs and butter, and flavored with citrus zest and dried fruit, much like panettone. I used a generous spoonful of orange zest, and tossed the dried fruit (apricots and cherries) with a splash of brandy and vanilla. Bake this coffeecake a day ahead of serving – the flavors of apricot and almond come alive as the bread ages overnight. Serve slices warm with additional apricot jam for breakfast or an afternoon snack.

Apricot-Glazed Coffeecake | Tutti Dolci

3/4 cup low-fat milk
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
3 large eggs, at room temperature
1/4 cup chopped almonds
3 Tbsp apricot jam

Combine apricots, cherries, brandy, and vanilla in a small bowl; macerate for 30 minutes, tossing occasionally. Coat a 12-cup bundt pan with nonstick spray; arrange sliced almonds into each section of pan.

Combine 2 cups flour, yeast, sugar, orange zest, and salt in a large mixer bowl; mix on low speed until incorporated. Combine milk and water in a microwave-safe measuring cup and heat 30 to 45 seconds, until very warm (120-130°F). Add to flour mixture and mix until combined. Add butter and eggs one at a time; mix until combined, then increase speed to medium and beat 3 minutes.

Combine macerated fruit and chopped almonds in a small bowl; add 1/4 cup flour and toss until coated; mix into batter on low speed for 1 minute. Gradually add enough flour, 1/4 cup at a time, to make a stiff batter (I added an additional 1 cup). Spoon batter into prepared pan and smooth with an offset spatula. Cover with plastic and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size (about 45 minutes).

Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake for 35 minutes or until golden. Cool for 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack; carefully invert onto rack. Place jam in a small bowl and microwave briefly (about 10 seconds); use a pastry brush to brush over warm coffeecake. Store in an airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days.

Yield – 16 servings (serving size: 1 slice)

Disclosure: I was compensated for writing and photographing this post by Red Star Yeast. All opinions expressed are my own.

This is my kind of bundt cake- stuffed with fruits and nuts and drenched with a jam glaze! How difficult was it to wait until the second day before serving? 😀

This is lovely, Laura! I love how you soaked the dried fruits in brandy and vanilla to enhance the flavor of the cake. I am going to have to try this yeast. Sweet and savory break baking is one of my favorite things to do in the kitchen.

I haven’t seen that yeast in my market yet. I’ve been curious to see if it makes the finished product any lighter. Who doesn’t love lighter fluffier baked goods? Love all the goodies you tucked inside yours. I could go for a slice right now instead of dinner, lol, but I’ve gotta be good. At least that is what I keep telling myself. Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

First, I love Red Star PLATINUM…Tried it and it was fantastic! Second, I loveee your coffee cake, anything left..crumbs perhaps? hehehe..It looks amazing and very delicious, Laura!
    Have a beautiful weekend!:)

What a magnificent coffeecake, Laura! I had no clue it was made with yeast…it looks so perfect and cake-like! I’m sucker for apricots, too…yum!

PS…I was bummed when I didn’t find the Platinum yeast at the grocery store…but it was only one market. I’m going to keep hunting as I’ve heard only rave reviews.

6. Lora @cakeduchess says

Baking with RSY Platinum makes such a difference. Your cake is gorgeous and the glaze is so pretty. I love cakes like this for breakfast. :)

7. Grammy says

Laura, thanks for introducing me to Red Star Yeast. I baked the cake today because your photography made it look irresistable. We couldn’t wait until tomorrow to taste test it. What delicious flavors with the apricots and cherries plus a little brandy to give even more flavor!
    I will serve it to my group tomorrow and they will want the recipe.

8. Helena / Rico sin Azúcar says

It looks soooo appetizing! I love cakes (tender, soft and yummy sweet cakes!!!) and this one has a perfect combination of apricots, cherry and almonds. I’d have a piece right now! 😀

Good to know the yeast brand that you would recommend! Since I’m a little bit of yeast phobia, I need all the help I can get for baking bread, anything that requires yeast. :) Apricot in the coffee cake? Sounds delicious. I also love the look of these coffeecake too!