apricot curd tart

August 6, 2012

in Pies & Tarts

Do you set goals for yourself in the kitchen? Making homemade curd has long been on my “must-make” list, but I was determined to try a different variation than the ubiquitous lemon curd. When my eye caught a basket full of luscious apricots at the store, I instantly thought of apricot curd. While the sweet and tangy curd is certainly a treat on its own, I couldn’t resist incorporating it into a dessert.

The silky smooth curd is the star of this fruit tart. Toasted almonds add a nutty richness to the crust, and fresh apricot slices glazed with honey make a striking topping. As a timesaver, I prepared the curd and tart shell the day ahead of assembly. You’ll have more apricot curd than you’ll need for the tart, but I have an idea or two about how to use the remainder that I’ll share with you soon!

Apricot Curd Tart

1/3 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup blanched slivered almonds, toasted and finely ground
7 Tbsp chilled unsalted butter

Topping
4 apricots, thinly sliced
1 Tbsp honey

For the apricot curd, combine apricots, sugar, lemon juice, and water in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring mixture to a boil (about 5 minutes); reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Remove mixture from heat and let stand 5 minutes. Place in a food processor or blender; process until smooth. Strain mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl and discard solids.

Wipe pan clean and return strained mixture to pan. Whisk together egg yolks and cornstarch in a small bowl until smooth. Stir yolk mixture into apricot mixture; bring to a boil over medium-low heat. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly, then remove from heat (the mixture should coat the back of a spoon). Add salt and butter, one piece at a time, stirring until smooth. Place curd into a medium bowl; cover with plastic wrap, pressing it directly onto the surface of the curd to prevent a skin from forming. Chill curd in the refrigerator at least 2 hours or up to 1 1/2 weeks. (Curd yield will be 1 1/4 cups, more than you’ll need for the tart.)

For the crust, preheat oven to 350°F and spray a 9-inch round removable-bottom tart pan with nonstick spray. Pulse flour, powdered sugar, almonds, and salt in a food processor until combined. Dice butter into 1/2-inch pieces; sprinkle over flour mixture and pulse just until mixture resembles coarse meal. Press in the bottom and up the sides of prepared tart pan. Bake for 24 to 25 minutes, until golden. Cool completely on a wire rack. If baking the crust a day ahead of assembling the tart, carefully cover with foil to store overnight.

To assemble tart, spoon 3/4 cup curd over crust; spread evenly with an offset spatula. Arrange sliced apricots over curd in a decorative pattern. Melt honey in a small saucepan over low heat; brush over apricots with a pastry brush. Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator up to 2 days; bring to room temperature before serving.

Apricot Curd
Yield – 1 1/4 cups (serving size: 1 tablespoon)

Apricot Curd Tart
Yield – 10 servings (serving size: 1 wedge)

1 The Café Sucré Farine August 6, 2012

This looks totally delightful! I’ve made lemon, lime and blueberry curd but never apricot! You are so smart and your tart looks beautiful! Your pictures are wonderful and so very enticing!

2 the wicked noodle August 6, 2012

How is it that you always seem to come to my rescue? I literally just picked up a huge box of freshly picked apricots and was scratching my head hoping an idea would somehow form. I should have known I just had to come here!

3 Patty August 6, 2012

Beautiful! I like the apricot curd, the color is so pretty:-) I like that it’s so light with less butter than a standard curd recipe. I love to bake with apricots, this is a wonderful recipe to remember for my next apricot purchase:-)

4 Sommer@A Spicy Perspective August 6, 2012

NICE!! This is gorgeous and a great party dessert. SAVING!

5 Valerie August 6, 2012

I feel kind of sorry for apricots because peaches and nectarines always steal the spotlight…this is a wonderful to showcase the shy, little, fuzzy apricot!
Beautiful presentation!!

6 fabiola@notjustbaked August 6, 2012

I love love love apricot curd, or any curd for that matter. But the apricot is so special, and unique. Way to go, it is beautiful!

7 Helena / Rico sin Azúcar August 6, 2012

This apricot curd is absolutely awesome! a delicious fruity creme brulee to have for dessert.
I’m more the winter kind of person, but I admit summer fruits are the best! :-D

8 Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic August 6, 2012

I was just snacking on Trader Joe’s lemon curd last night and was wondering how easy/hard it will be if I ever attempt to make my own curd. Your apricot curd (and tart) looks great!

9 Jennifer @ Mother Thyme August 6, 2012

This looks fabulous! I definitely would love to try this soon. I can’t wait to see what else you come up with using the apricot curd! :)

10 Jen @ Savory Simple August 6, 2012

Curd is one of my favorite dessert components (and I’m happy to just eat it with a spoon!) Never tried it with apricots, great idea!

11 Maureen August 6, 2012

I’ve never made apricot curd but I can’t wait to make this tart. It won’t be long before apricots will be in season again.

12 Carol | a cup of mascarpone August 6, 2012

I love tarts, period…and this one looks absolutely incredible, Laura! The color is beautiful!

13 Deb August 6, 2012

What an elegant apricot tart! The bright, sunny orange apricot curd mirrors the summer sunshine. I can only imagine the sweet, yet tangy curd puddled under the the apricot slices. A sparkling summer treat!

14 Terra August 6, 2012

I definitely have a kitchen bucket list, but it is long. I have been thinking about puff pastry, and trying macarons again:-) I love making lemon curd now, so I love your apricot curd!!! Your tart has a beautiful mix of flavors:-) Hugs, Terra

15 Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts August 6, 2012

Fresh apricots in a curd sounds fantastic! The tart looks gorgeous!

16 Marina@Picnic at Marina August 6, 2012

Apricot curd looks absolutely fantastic! :)

17 Sandra's Easy Cooking August 6, 2012

Laura, that tart would be gone in a seconds in my house:)) but I would be happy with just a Apricot curd..It looks so yummy! Thank you for sharing and have a lovely week honey!

18 Lisa { AuthenticSuburbanGourmet } August 6, 2012

Laura – I had the same goal about a month or so ago to make curd. It is so simple and tasty. Your tart looks divine and I bet it was hard to eat just one slice. Great recipe!!!!

19 Deborah August 6, 2012

I just love this!! I’ve made lots of citrus curds, but never apricot. Love!

20 Asmita August 6, 2012

Hi ,
Your apricot curd tart is stunning!
I love fruit tarts in the summer and love how beautiful the crust looks. I love making fruit tarts and just made one yesterday that flopped because of my pastry crust.
I will have to give this one a shot.

21 Lora @cakeduchess August 6, 2012

I’ve made lemon curd and now really want to try apricot curd. Your tart is so lovely, Laura. I saw this and wanted to give it a try. Wish I had a slice of yours:)

22 Mercedes August 6, 2012

These photos are so beautiful Laura! And I love the color of your curd! Are your photos lit with natural light?

23 Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious August 6, 2012

I set goals in the kitchen too, and some are more ambitious than others but slowly, over time, I get to cross each one off my list. I’m so glad you were able to cross this off your list with such a unique version!

24 Jean (Lemons and Anchovies) August 6, 2012

I love the sound of apricot curd and you used it so well in this beautiful tart. I can almost taste this. So pretty, too! Looking forward to what else you came up with for the curd. :)

25 Rosa August 7, 2012

A fabulous tart! So tempting and surely extremely delicious.

Cheers,

Rosa

26 Minnie(@thelady8home) August 7, 2012

Wonderful recipe. Never thought of making curd with adding fruit. And the photographs, they are stunning.

27 Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella August 7, 2012

Apricot curd is a great idea! I also tried mandarin curd which I loved but I’m going to try apricot when they’re back in season again :D

28 Jessica@AKitchenAddiction August 7, 2012

Love this! I definitely need to try making apricot curd!

29 Hannah August 7, 2012

I love your tart, Laura! I’m such a fan of fruit curds and can’t wait to try this apricot one. Thanks for sharing!

30 Suzanne August 7, 2012

Laura, this dessert is calling my name! Love lemon and lime curd but haven’t tried apricot but I know it would be wonderful and then in this dessert oh yes!

31 Averie @ Averie Cooks August 7, 2012

I love apricots – they are such little gems and wish it was apricot season yearround!

32 Kankana August 7, 2012

This is a great dessert and with home made curd .. yummy delicious!!

33 roz August 7, 2012

Like you, I’ve always wanted to make a curd (lemon) for scones. This truly does set this tart apart! Gorgeous photos too! Well done!

34 Baker Street August 8, 2012

I set goals all the time and trust me homemade curt has been on my list too! Your post I feel has given me the nudge I need. I think I’ll try a lemon version of your gorgeous tart! :)

35 Riley August 8, 2012

Apricot curd sounds wonderful! I’ll definitely be giving this a try very soon!

36 Kate August 8, 2012

Looks delicious, Laura! Just gorgeous and I love that it isn’t the same old lemon curd we always see. Fantstic!

Have a good one!
~Kate

37 Lan | angry asian August 8, 2012

can we still be friends if i tell you that i’m not a fan of apricots? it’s not something that i grew up with. however, i am a fan of curd and i think it’s ingenious of you to use apricots in lieu of the usual lemon…

38 Liz August 8, 2012

Apricot curd? I’m swooning! This tart looks fantastic…now if I can just find some ripe, delicious apricots….

39 Karen (Back Road Journal) August 8, 2012

That is an outstanding looking tart. I absolutely love apricots and this sounds delicious.

40 Stephanie @ 52 Kitchen Adventures August 8, 2012

I love the creaminess and flavor of curd! I’ve never tried apricot curd but I can imagine it would be wonderful. I always have some goal or another in the kitchen and it feels so good to accomplish them!

41 Kristi @ My San Francisco Kitchen August 8, 2012

Beautiful tart! I love apricots, thanks for sharing this recipe :)

42 Susan August 8, 2012

Just gorgeous, Laura!

43 Jen L | Tartine ans Apron Strings August 8, 2012

I’ve never made curd before, but somehow I think that it’s going into my foodie bucket list!

44 Cathy @ Noble Pig August 8, 2012

Wow, this absolutelty beautiful. And yes I would love to make my own curd.

45 Roxana | Roxana's Home Baking August 10, 2012

i’ve made once lemon curd and enjoyed a couple of others fruit curd by buying them from the store.
The tart is so beautiful!

46 Alana August 12, 2012

This is so clever, I’d never have thought to make a curd with apricots. It’s a beautiful tart! Thanks for the inspiration.

47 Charles August 13, 2012

Hi Laura, I’ve been wanting to make apricot curd ever since I made lemon curd recently. I’d love to try plums too – I bet the flavour and colour must be amazing. Your apricot curd looks fantastic – lovely colour, and I bet that tart is wonderful – fantastic use of the curd!

48 Nami | Just One Cookbook August 13, 2012

Drool! My kids really started to love apricot this year and this will be such a nice treat. I’ll be on your blog and check your archives as soon as I start baking more. I’m so busy everyday that my family is lucky if I get to cook dinner. I don’t know how people find time to bake?! Once BOTH kids go to school till 2:45pm… I’m going to bake!! Have to wait another 2 more years tho. UGH.

49 Nancy/SpicieFoodie August 17, 2012

Hi Laura,
Apricots are one of my absolute favorite fruits. It’s never crossed my mind to make an apricot curd. Now I can’t wait to try it. The tart is like my own little dessert heaven. Thanks for sharing & have a great weekend:)

50 Magic of Spice August 23, 2012

Such a beautiful tart, and I love the idea of an apricot curd!