With a blend of mixed berries and a buttery golden lid, these triple berry crumb bars taste like the best berry pie. The bars are delicious unadorned to fully savor the jammy berry filling and golden crumb topping; I also love them topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or drizzled with lemon glaze. Recipe makes 16 bars (and easily doubles!).
The Best Berry Crumb Bars
Even better than pie, these mixed berry crumb bars are forgiving and flexible – use any blend of fresh berries you love (my favorite combination is a mix of blackberries, raspberries, and blueberries).
If you’re serving a crowd, simply double the recipe and bake in a 13 x 9-inch baking pan (and then prepare to dig in!).
Best Christmas Cookies
5 Deliciously Festive Holiday Cookie Recipes!
How to make berry crumb bars:
- The crust and crumbs are one simple dough that comes together in under 5 minutes (thank you, melted butter!).
- To make the dough, whisk together melted butter, sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, and lemon zest in a large bowl until combined. Whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl; add to butter mixture and fold in until incorporated.
- Reserve 3/4 cup of the dough for the crumb topping (keep chilled), and press the remaining dough evenly and firmly into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake the crust for 14 to 16 minutes, until lightly golden and set. Cool the crust slightly before adding the filling and reserved crumbs.
- To make the berry filling, combine sugar, salt, and arrowroot starch (or cornstarch) in a medium bowl. Add berries and lemon juice, tossing gently to combine. Spoon mixture over cooled crust and crumble reserved dough over filling.
- Continue baking until the topping is golden and the berry filling is slightly bubbly, another 40 to 45 minutes. Let bars cool completely before slicing and serving.
More favorite berry desserts:
Did you try this Berry Crumb Bar Recipe? Let me know by leaving a comment and rating below!Print
Triple berry crumb bars with a golden crumb topping make the perfect dessert! These simple and delicious mixed berry crumb bars taste like the best pie – serve with vanilla ice cream! Recipe makes 16 bars.
Crust & Crumbs
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp arrowroot starch (or 1 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch)
- 1/2 cup blackberries, halved
- 3/4 cup raspberries
- 3/4 cup blueberries
- 1/2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper. Whisk together melted butter, sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, and lemon zest until combined.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl; add to butter mixture and fold in until incorporated. Reserve 3/4 cup of dough for topping (keep chilled); press remaining dough evenly into bottom of prepared pan. Bake crust for 14 to 16 minutes, until lightly golden and set. Transfer to a wire rack and cool for 15 minutes.
- For the filling, combine sugar, salt, and arrowroot starch in a medium bowl. Add berries and lemon juice, tossing gently to combine. Spoon mixture over cooled crust and crumble reserved dough over filling.
- Bake for another 40 to 44 minutes, or until topping is golden and filling slightly bubbly. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Just before cutting, chill in the freezer for 10 minutes. Carefully lift parchment and place bars on a cutting board; cut into squares with a sharp knife.
Filling: Any blend of 2 cups of berries can be used for the filling.
Gluten Free Bars: Use your favorite 1-1 gluten-free flour.
Larger Batch: For a larger batch of crumb bars, double the recipe and bake in a 9 x 13-inch rectangular baking pan.
Keywords: Berry, Berries, Crumb Bars, Blackberry, Raspberry, Blueberry
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy.