lemon glazed blueberry bites

July 8, 2012

in Cookies

I’m fortunate to live about five miles from a family-owned blueberry farm. I stumbled upon the farm a few summers ago and now I’m a regular, picking a few pounds of berries every week or so. There’s something peaceful about the work (though if you go picking, you quickly understand why the grocery store charges such high prices for a small container of blueberries!), and owner Liz Giusto often gives me great recipe ideas. Last week, we discussed cookies with fresh blueberries and it wasn’t long before I was turning the idea into dough.

I’ve never met a blueberry-lemon baked good I haven’t loved (see blueberry-Mascarpone muffins, blueberry-lemon loaf cakes, and blueberry crumb bars!), yet these lemon glazed blueberry bites are my new favorite. The plump little cookies burst with fresh blueberries and a drizzle of lemon glaze adds an extra hit of citrus. Serve slightly chilled for an irresistible taste of summer.

Lemon Glazed Blueberry Bites
Adapted from Serious Eats
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
Zest of 1 lemon
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cups blueberries

Glaze
3/4 cup powdered sugar
2 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice

Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl. Beat cream cheese, butter, and lemon zest in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until smooth. Add sugars and beat until fluffy; add vanilla and egg and beat until combined. Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour mixture; beat just until incorporated. Carefully fold in blueberries. Cover dough and chill in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours or up to overnight.

Preheat oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper; let dough stand at room temperature for 15 minutes. Gently form 1 1/4″ balls of dough and place two inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Bake, rotating pans halfway through, for 12 minutes, until cookies are lightly golden. Cool for 2 minutes on baking sheets, then transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.

To prepare glaze, whisk together powdered sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl. Place wire rack with cookies over a piece of wax paper; drizzle cookies with glaze and let set before serving. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 3 days.

Yield – 36 cookies (serving size: 1 cookie)

1 Valerie July 8, 2012

I love those certain special ideas that transform into dough. :)
These cookies are adorable! I can practically taste the blueberries bursting in my mouth just from looking at the photos.

2 Rowena @ Apron and Sneakers July 8, 2012

I just took home a few punnets of wild blueberries from the Dolomites. I still don’t have the faintest idea on what to do with them. Lucky you to live close to a blueberry farm. Thanks for this inspiring recipe. I wish I can have a bite now!

3 Patty July 8, 2012

I’ve always wondered about blueberry picking, I can imagine it takes some time to accumulate enough for a pie;-)
Your cookies look like the perfect use for the prized blueberries;-) How nice to live so close to a blueberry farm;-)

4 Maureen @ Orgasmic Chef July 8, 2012

I love blueberries in any way, even fresh out of the container. I’ve been wondering how I can make blueberry soup. :)

I can’t wait for blueberry season here to give these a try!

5 Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet July 8, 2012

Oh, Laura! These are absolutely adorable! We love blueberries and my girls would love these bites. Thank you so much for sharing, this recipe. Have a fabulous Sunday!

6 Liz July 8, 2012

Ooooh, these must be fantastic with your fresh picked berries! And I’m loving the glaze, too!

7 cassie July 8, 2012

Lucky girl! I would love to live so close to any kind of berry farm. These look amazing Laura!

8 Jessica@AKitchenAddiction July 8, 2012

I wish I could pick fresh berries every couple of weeks! These look lovely!!

9 Deb July 8, 2012

I would love to pick fresh blueberries! I am envious! I am often disappointed by the quality at the grocery stores; the berries tend to be mushy and bland. Fresh is always so much better! As they are my husband’s favorite fruit I will have to make him these delectable cookies soon!

10 Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious July 8, 2012

These are so cute! And I’m so incredibly jealous that you live near a blueberry farm! I have to go visit you!

11 Lizzy (Good Things) July 8, 2012

Oh Laura, these look beautiful. May I please have one now with my cup of tea!

12 Ali @ Gimme Some Oven July 8, 2012

LOVE that these are bite-sized! So cute — and I’m sure delicious! :)

13 Suzanne July 9, 2012

I love these little bites, they look so wonderful. Lemon and blueberries were meant to go together!

14 Jen L | Tartine ans Apron Strings July 9, 2012

I love buying directly from farms! You are indeed fortunate to live so close to one! Fresh off the bush is always the best! Reminds me of my childhood (seems like such a long time ago!)

15 Sommer@ASpicyPerspective July 9, 2012

Oh my! We have hoards of wild blueberries all around us and I can’t think of a better way to use them!

16 Jenn and Seth (@HomeSkilletCook) July 9, 2012

those look so cute and delicious :)

17 Ozlem's Turkish Table July 9, 2012

they are so inviting! we love bluberries and I am so looking forward to trying your recipe!

18 Charles July 9, 2012

I’m so jealous – blueberries aren’t something I use that many of here… they cost a fortune alas… usually ~€2 for a tiny punnet containing literally a couple of small handfuls. Barely enough for an individual pie!

Lovely little bites, though I’ll have to admire them in photo form only. Perhaps I could replace the berries though with something a bit cheaper here… blackberries perhaps?!

19 Tutti Dolci July 9, 2012

Oh, I think these would be scrumptious with blackberries. Let me know if you try them!

20 Susan July 9, 2012

How fun! The problem is I think I’d eat the whole batch – what a wonderful flavor combination!

21 Jennifer | Mother Thyme July 9, 2012

You are so fortunate to live near a blueberry farm. Nothing beats freshly picked blueberries. Lemon and blueberry is one of my favorite combinations. What adorable little bits bursting with beautiful blueberries!

22 Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen July 9, 2012

How wonderful to be so close to a blueberry farm! Picking your own fruit always makes it taste sweeter doesn’t it?

23 Deborah July 9, 2012

I’ve always wanted to go blueberry picking! These cookies look like the perfect way to use those blueberries.

24 Nami | Just One Cookbook July 9, 2012

Actually it’s been my dream to go blueberry picking. How come does the price is more expensive? Is it hard to pick? I have never chosen to go yet because I was afraid my kids just smash the berries when they pick but I think they are old enough to try… I eat like crazy amount of blueberries everyday and it would be nice if I can actually buy them from a farm! I am crazy about blueberries and dream about good blueberries from fall/winter time. Your cookies look SUPER delicious, and it’s coming from a huge blueberry fan. =)

25 Tutti Dolci July 10, 2012

Blueberries are $5 a pound at the farm I go to. It’s not hard to pick, just a little slow – the plants are about 3 feet tall so the fact that I’m short is an advantage :). The best way to pick is to hold your bucket under a cluster with one hand, and use your other hand to roll the ripe berries off the cluster. One thing I learned is to look for the biggest blueberries – many smaller berries will look ripe because they are blue, but you can taste the difference in sugar levels between a nickle-sized blueberry versus one the size of a pencil eraser. I think your kids would have a great time!

26 Jill July 10, 2012

These look so yummy, looking for ideas of things to make with blueberries as they are a family favourite and these are perfect. I could probably eat them all myself though!

27 Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella July 10, 2012

What lovely little bites you have made there! :D I love that blueberries for sale sign. They’re so good for you too right? :D

28 Jenn July 10, 2012

These are adorable and look fantastic!!

29 Laura @ Family Spice July 10, 2012

These look amazing! I took my kids strawberry picking and we ate while we picked! I am picturing purple stained mouths if we ever go blueberry picking! And blueberry-lemon is one my favorite flavor combinations, too!

30 Sandra's Easy Cooking July 10, 2012

I need to go blueberry picking. We have farm not that far away and every year I miss it. You gave me motivation to actually do it this year!:)
This recipe sound really good. Very delicious!

31 Jean (Lemons and Anchovies) July 10, 2012

I bought tons of blueberries this weekend and though hubs has been having a bowl for breakfast each morning, I still have enough for a baked treat. These bites sound perfect! Hope you’re having a great week!

32 Kate July 10, 2012

oh dear! I’d love to have some of these in front of me right now. YUMM!

33 Liren July 10, 2012

So lucky! If I lived five miles from a blueberry farm, I would be tempted to visit all summer long. I love cookies with cream cheese in the dough – these bites are so tempting!

34 Lisa { AuthenticSuburbanGourmet } July 10, 2012

We use to pick berries when we were little. One would go into the bucket and one would go into our mouths until we got tired of eating them. These bites looks sooooo wonderful and I must make them soon. Pinning now. :-)

35 Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts July 10, 2012

I have never picked blueberries before, not sure if they grow near me. I will have to check it out! These little guys are perfect! I think my son would love them.

36 amelia from z tasty life July 10, 2012

ciao Laura! I am new to your site (just stumbled upon via a comment on another blog). I have a feeling I’ll become a regular. These bites sound amazing and just the right size to satisfy a sweet craving with a huge burst of juiciness from the berries.

37 Baker Street July 10, 2012

Wow! You have a family owned blueberry farm! How I’d love my own blueberry farm. These lemon glazed bites look incredibly delicious, Laura!

38 meatballs & milkshakes July 11, 2012

These look delicious!

39 Roxana Greengirl {A little bit of everything} July 12, 2012

this year was the first one the farm close to the house allow us to pick our own blueberries and we picked about 6 pounds on our last trip. I’ve been on a blueberry kick for a while now and these little bites come in at the perfect time.

40 Cookie and Kate July 13, 2012

These look like the most perfect little sweet treats! Wish I could savor one as an afternoon snack.

41 the wicked noodle July 13, 2012

I’m so jealous! I would LOVE to live by a blueberry farm. Love that these are glazed with lemon.

42 Magic of Spice July 20, 2012

I have not been blueberry picking in ages…how fun! And how cool to live so close to one, they are so much more amazing freshly picked :)
And your little bites here are just a delight!

43 Carol | a cup of mascarpone July 26, 2012

I just adore how cute these little bites are…my two favorite combinations, lemon and blueberries. I can’t wait to try them!

44 Grammy August 4, 2012

Laura, the blueberry bites were a hit at our family reunion. When they were put out on the picnic table, the word soon got out about those luscious bites of blueberry with the fresh lemony icing, and they were gone in a flash. I wanted a second taste but alas! they were gone.
More please?

45 roz August 8, 2012

I LOVE the iddy-biddy bites of blueberry deliciousness in these treats! Blueberries rock and love your blog.

Roz

46 Dawn August 28, 2012

I saw your recipe on pinterest & made several batches tonight….they are SO DELSH, moist and very light. I was looking for a recipe with blueberries, needed to use them up before they go bad, this was just a perfect after dinner dessert :-)

47 Tutti Dolci August 28, 2012

So glad you like the bites, Dawn! Thanks for letting me know :).

48 Jessica Huseman September 4, 2012

This were delicious! I can’t bake and I loved them. I changed just a few little things, and they were so amazing. My husband has eaten half the batch by now.

See my review here:

49 Tutti Dolci September 4, 2012

Thanks Jessica, so glad you tried & liked them! :)