lemon glazed blueberry bites

I’m fortunate to live about five miles from a family-owned blueberry farm. I stumbled upon the farm a few summers ago and now I’m a regular, picking a few pounds of berries every week or so. There’s something peaceful about the work (though if you go picking, you quickly understand why the grocery store charges such high prices for a small container of blueberries!), and owner Liz Giusto often gives me great recipe ideas. Last week, we discussed cookies with fresh blueberries and it wasn’t long before I was turning the idea into dough.

I’ve never met a blueberry-lemon baked good I haven’t loved (see blueberry-Mascarpone muffins, blueberry-lemon loaf cakes, and blueberry crumb bars!), yet these lemon glazed blueberry bites are my new favorite. The plump little cookies burst with fresh blueberries and a drizzle of lemon glaze adds an extra hit of citrus. Serve slightly chilled for an irresistible taste of summer.

Lemon Glazed Blueberry Bites
Adapted from Serious Eats
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
Zest of 1 lemon
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cups blueberries

3/4 cup powdered sugar
2 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice

Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl. Beat cream cheese, butter, and lemon zest in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until smooth. Add sugars and beat until fluffy; add vanilla and egg and beat until combined. Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour mixture; beat just until incorporated. Carefully fold in blueberries. Cover dough and chill in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours or up to overnight.

Preheat oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper; let dough stand at room temperature for 15 minutes. Gently form 1 1/4″ balls of dough and place two inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Bake, rotating pans halfway through, for 12 minutes, until cookies are lightly golden. Cool for 2 minutes on baking sheets, then transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.

To prepare glaze, whisk together powdered sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl. Place wire rack with cookies over a piece of wax paper; drizzle cookies with glaze and let set before serving. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 3 days.

Yield – 36 cookies (serving size: 1 cookie)

I love those certain special ideas that transform into dough. :)
    These cookies are adorable! I can practically taste the blueberries bursting in my mouth just from looking at the photos.

I just took home a few punnets of wild blueberries from the Dolomites. I still don’t have the faintest idea on what to do with them. Lucky you to live close to a blueberry farm. Thanks for this inspiring recipe. I wish I can have a bite now!

I’ve always wondered about blueberry picking, I can imagine it takes some time to accumulate enough for a pie;-)
    Your cookies look like the perfect use for the prized blueberries;-) How nice to live so close to a blueberry farm;-)

I would love to pick fresh blueberries! I am envious! I am often disappointed by the quality at the grocery stores; the berries tend to be mushy and bland. Fresh is always so much better! As they are my husband’s favorite fruit I will have to make him these delectable cookies soon!

I’m so jealous – blueberries aren’t something I use that many of here… they cost a fortune alas… usually ~€2 for a tiny punnet containing literally a couple of small handfuls. Barely enough for an individual pie!

Lovely little bites, though I’ll have to admire them in photo form only. Perhaps I could replace the berries though with something a bit cheaper here… blackberries perhaps?!

You are so fortunate to live near a blueberry farm. Nothing beats freshly picked blueberries. Lemon and blueberry is one of my favorite combinations. What adorable little bits bursting with beautiful blueberries!

Actually it’s been my dream to go blueberry picking. How come does the price is more expensive? Is it hard to pick? I have never chosen to go yet because I was afraid my kids just smash the berries when they pick but I think they are old enough to try… I eat like crazy amount of blueberries everyday and it would be nice if I can actually buy them from a farm! I am crazy about blueberries and dream about good blueberries from fall/winter time. Your cookies look SUPER delicious, and it’s coming from a huge blueberry fan. =)

• Tutti Dolci says

Blueberries are $5 a pound at the farm I go to. It’s not hard to pick, just a little slow – the plants are about 3 feet tall so the fact that I’m short is an advantage :). The best way to pick is to hold your bucket under a cluster with one hand, and use your other hand to roll the ripe berries off the cluster. One thing I learned is to look for the biggest blueberries – many smaller berries will look ripe because they are blue, but you can taste the difference in sugar levels between a nickle-sized blueberry versus one the size of a pencil eraser. I think your kids would have a great time!

These look so yummy, looking for ideas of things to make with blueberries as they are a family favourite and these are perfect. I could probably eat them all myself though!

These look amazing! I took my kids strawberry picking and we ate while we picked! I am picturing purple stained mouths if we ever go blueberry picking! And blueberry-lemon is one my favorite flavor combinations, too!

So lucky! If I lived five miles from a blueberry farm, I would be tempted to visit all summer long. I love cookies with cream cheese in the dough – these bites are so tempting!

ciao Laura! I am new to your site (just stumbled upon via a comment on another blog). I have a feeling I’ll become a regular. These bites sound amazing and just the right size to satisfy a sweet craving with a huge burst of juiciness from the berries.

I have not been blueberry picking in ages…how fun! And how cool to live so close to one, they are so much more amazing freshly picked :)
    And your little bites here are just a delight!

13. Grammy says

Laura, the blueberry bites were a hit at our family reunion. When they were put out on the picnic table, the word soon got out about those luscious bites of blueberry with the fresh lemony icing, and they were gone in a flash. I wanted a second taste but alas! they were gone.
    More please?

14. Dawn says

I saw your recipe on pinterest & made several batches tonight….they are SO DELSH, moist and very light. I was looking for a recipe with blueberries, needed to use them up before they go bad, this was just a perfect after dinner dessert :-)