If your dad is anything like mine, he’d be thrilled with a frosty chocolate malt on Father’s Day afternoon. His nostalgia for those creamy milkshakes inspired these malted brownies – super rich, super fudgy, super decadent brownies topped with swirls of malted chocolate frosting and chocolate malt balls.
These brownies are heaven for any chocoholic, including my dad, the ultimate chocoholic. Serve slightly chilled for the true chocolate malt experience.
How to Bake the MOST Decadent Chocolate Desserts
Rich and fudgy frosted malted brownies topped with swirls of malted chocolate frosting and chocolate malt balls.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/4 cup malted milk powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 3 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa
- 3 Tbsp malted milk powder
- 3 Tbsp milk
- 1/2 cup malted milk balls, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 325°F and line an 11 x 7-inch baking dish with 1 sheet of parchment paper, allowing 2 inches to hang over each end.
- Place melted butter, sugar, cocoa powder, malted milk powder, and salt in a large bowl and stir the mixture until combined – the texture will appear granular at this point. Stir in vanilla; add eggs one at a time, stirring well after each one. When the batter is thick and shiny, add the flour and stir until completely incorporated, then beat briskly for 40 more strokes.
- Scrape batter into prepared baking dish and smooth with an offset spatula; tap pan once to remove air bubbles.
- Bake for 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out slightly moist with batter. Cool completely on a wire rack. When brownies are cool, carefully lift parchment to remove from pan and place on a cutting board; trim any uneven edges.
- For the frosting, beat butter, vanilla, and salt in a mixer on medium speed until smooth. Reduce speed to low; gradually mix in powdered sugar, cocoa, and malt powder. Add milk one tablespoon at a time until blended; increase speed to medium and beat until smooth.
- Use an offset spatula to spread frosting over brownies and top with malted milk balls; chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to set frosting. For clean cuts, pour boiling water over a sharp knife, wipe dry and immediately cut straight down, pulling the knife out, not up. Repeat with each cut.
Keywords: Chocolate, Malt, Brownies
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy.