meyer lemon ricotta muffins
Light and fluffy Meyer lemon ricotta muffins make the best breakfast! Dressed up with lemon butter glaze (or a slather of salted butter), these muffins are a scrumptious taste of spring!
With a light and fluffy texture from the ricotta and plenty of vibrant citrus flavor from fresh Meyer lemon zest, these effortless muffins are easy to make and a must bake while fragrant, floral Meyer lemons are in season!
Tips for perfect muffins:
- In recipes that include citrus zest (like this one!), pulse the zest and sugar in a food processor for 1 minute, until the zest is finely ground. This added step releases aromatic oils from the zest, for maximum flavor.
- Spray a cookie scoop with nonstick spray and use the scoop to evenly portion out the muffin batter.
- For bakery-style muffins with perfectly domed tops, start out baking at 425°F for a quick burst of heat (this helps give the muffins a nice lift!). Without opening the oven, reduce the temperature to 350°F and bake another 8 to 10 minutes, until set and a tester comes out clean or with a few crumbs attached.
- Cool muffins for 5 minutes in pan before cooling completely on a wire rack.
- Once the muffins are fully cooled, drizzle with glaze and enjoy!
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp fresh Meyer lemon zest
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 Tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup part skim ricotta, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- pinch of salt
- 2 tsp fresh Meyer lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp fresh Meyer lemon juice
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 425°F and line a 12-cup standard muffin pan with baking cups; spray baking cups lightly with cooking spray.
- Combine sugar and Meyer lemon zest in a food processor and pulse for 1 minute to combine. Transfer to a large bowl and whisk in flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Make a well in the center of the mixture. Combine buttermilk, ricotta, melted butter, egg, and vanilla in a medium bowl; add to flour mixture and fold in just until incorporated.
- Fill each baking cup 3/4 full of batter. Place muffin pan in the oven and bake for 5 minutes at 425°F. Reduce temperature to 350°F and continue baking 8 to 10 minutes (for a total baking time of 13 to 15 minutes), until muffins are golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few crumbs attached. Let muffins cool in pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes before removing from pan to cool.
- For the glaze, whisk together melted butter, salt, Meyer lemon zest, juice, and powdered sugar in a small bowl. Drizzle glaze over muffins and and let set before serving.
Keywords: Meyer Lemon, Ricotta, Poppy Seed, Muffin