chai spice granola
Rituals. Do you have any rituals or routines built into your life? Homemade granola is my ritual, something I bake weekly without exception. The recipe is memorized, permanently etched into my mind and if I was the sort of person to sleepwalk, I sometimes think I’d find myself mixing up a batch of granola in the middle of the night.
January is the time to get back to basics, and nothing tastes better than golden and toasty granola. Filled with clusters (my favorite!), this granola is flavored with chai spice, honey, and a blend of almonds and hazelnuts. Toast up a batch for a healthy breakfast or snack; I think you’ll find the process as simple and rewarding as I do.
- 4 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup almonds, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg white, at room temperature
- Preheat oven to 290°F and line a rimmed baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper. Combine oats, almonds, hazelnuts, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, cloves, nutmeg and salt in a large bowl. Add coconut oil, honey, and vanilla; toss to coat. Whisk egg white in a small bowl until frothy (about 1 minute); add to oat mixture and toss to coat.
- Use an offset spatula to spread mixture into an even layer on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, then use a large spatula to flip sections of granola. Press back into an even layer, rotate pan, and bake another 15 minutes. When granola is golden and feels dry to the touch, turn off oven and leave pan in oven for another 10 minutes to continue drying.
- Remove pan from oven and place on a wire rack to cool completely (the granola crisps as it cools). When completely cool, break into clusters (if you want to add dried fruit, stir in now). Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 1 to 2 weeks.
- Serving Size: 2/3 cup
- Calories: 260
- Carbohydrates: 37