maple brown butter sugar cookies
I hope your coffee is prepped because you’ll want a steaming mug to pair with these maple brown butter sugar cookies, just the thing to savor midafternoon. While I adore the flavor of maple syrup, I often find maple desserts a bit too sweet – nutty brown butter is a nice counterpoint to dark amber maple syrup and keeps the sweetness in check.
Add a maple drizzle and you have the perfect finish for these soft and chewy sugar cookies.
- 10 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 tsp maple extract
- 1/4 cup dark amber maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 2 Tbsp dark amber maple syrup
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 1/4 tsp maple extract
- Cook butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until it foams, turns clear, and then turns a deep brown, about 6 minutes. Pour browned butter into a glass measuring cup and chill in the freezer until solidified, about 45 minutes to an hour.
- Whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt in a medium bowl. Beat solidified brown butter and sugars in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until creamy; beat in egg and egg yolk. Add maple extract and maple syrup, beating until well combined. Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour mixture; beat just until incorporated. Cover dough and chill in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (If cookie dough has chilled overnight, let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes before baking). Line two baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper. Form 1 1/2-inch balls of dough and place two inches apart on prepared baking sheets; flatten mounds slightly. Bake, rotating pans halfway through, for 11 to 12 minutes, until lightly golden and edges are set. Cool for 3 minutes on baking sheets, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the glaze, whisk together melted butter, maple syrup, and salt in a small bowl. Whisk in powdered sugar, milk, and maple extract until smooth. Drizzle glaze over cookies; let set before serving.
- Calories: 165
- Carbohydrates: 25
Keywords: Maple, Brown Butter