brown butter cream cheese sugar cookies
Soft and buttery, these melt-in-your-mouth brown butter cream cheese sugar cookies are a must bake. Brown butter adds depth of flavor and keeps the sweetness in check; a touch of cream cheese in the dough makes it easy to work with and ensures that the cookies remain soft and tender.
Dressed up with frosting and sparkling sprinkles for a festive feel, these sparkling snowflakes are almost too pretty to eat and a beautiful twist on a holiday classic.
Soft and buttery brown butter cream cheese sugar cookies topped with frosting and sparkling sprinkles! The perfect holiday cutout cookie!
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 oz reduced fat cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp pure almond extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 2–3 Tbsp milk
- 1 Tbsp light corn syrup
- 1/4 tsp pure almond extract
- Cook butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until it foams, turns clear, and then turns a deep brown, about 6 minutes. Pour browned butter into a glass measuring cup and chill in the freezer until solidified, about 45 minutes to an hour.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Beat solidified brown butter and sugar in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until creamy; beat in cream cheese and egg until combined. Beat in extracts until incorporated. Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour mixture; beat just until incorporated.
- Divide dough in half and roll out each half into a 1/4-inch thickness between two pieces of parchment paper. Transfer to the refrigerator (keep flat) and chill for at least 1 hour, or overnight. Once the dough has chilled, preheat oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Remove the top layer of parchment paper from the dough and use cookie cutters to cut out cookies before transferring to prepared baking sheets. Chill in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Bake, rotating pans halfway through, for about 14 minutes, until lightly golden and tops and edges are set. Let cookies cool completely on baking sheets.
- For the frosting, combine powdered sugar, milk, corn syrup, and almond extract in a small bowl, whisking together until smooth and glossy. If the frosting seems too thick, add more milk, one teaspoon at a time, until you reach the desired consistency. Spread or pipe frosting onto cookies and top with sprinkles immediately, while the frosting is still wet. Let the frosting set completely before serving.
With a 5-inch snowflake cutter, yield was 12 cookies. Yield will vary depending on the size of your cutter. Make ahead: Shaped, unbaked cookies can be frozen up to 3 months and baked directly from the freezer, adding 1-2 minutes to baking time.
Keywords: Brown Butter, Cream Cheese, Cutout Cookie, Holiday Cookie