Soft and buttery, these melt-in-your-mouth brown butter cream cheese sugar cookies are a must bake. Rich and nutty brown butter adds depth of flavor and keeps the sweetness in check; a touch of cream cheese in the dough makes it easy to work with and ensures that the cookies remain soft and tender. Recipe makes 24 sugar cookies.
Dressed up with frosting and sparkling sprinkles for a festive feel, these brown butter cream cheese sugar cookies are almost too pretty to eat and a beautiful twist on a holiday classic!
New to making brown butter? Check out my easy step-by-step tutorial to make brown butter in 5 minutes!
How to Bake the MOST Decadent Chocolate Desserts
How to Make Perfect Sugar Cookies
Chill the dough – Chilling the dough is essential! Chill the dough before punching out shapes, then chill cut out cookies on parchment-lined baking sheets before baking.
Roll out dough – Divide dough into two pieces and roll each piece out between two pieces of parchment paper. Transfer to the refrigerator (keep flat) and chill for at least 1 hour, or overnight.
Punch out cookies – Once the dough has chilled, remove the top layer of parchment paper from the dough. Use lightly floured cookie cutters to cut out cookies and transfer to parchment-lined baking sheets. Dough scraps can be re-rolled one time. Chill the cut-outs for 20 minutes in the refrigerator before baking.
Bake – Bake cookies for 12 to 14 minutes, rotating pans halfway through, or until lightly golden and tops and edges are set. For smaller cookies, baking time will be approximately 10 to 12 minutes. Let cookies cool completely on baking sheets before frosting.
Frosting – Combine powdered sugar, milk, corn syrup, almond extract, and salt in a small bowl. Whisk frosting until completely smooth and glossy.
To make the outline, transfer frosting to a piping bag and pipe the frosting around the edge of the cookies, then let set. To flood the center, add more milk to the frosting, one teaspoon at a time, until you reach the desired consistency. Fill the center of each cookie with frosting. Top cookies with sprinkles and let frosting set before serving.
Make Ahead Sugar Cookies
Shaped, unbaked cookies can be frozen up to 2 months and baked directly from the freezer, adding 1-2 minutes to baking time.
More favorite holiday cookie recipes:
- Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies
- Soft Molasses Spice Cookies
- Peppermint Bark Brownie Cookies
- Raspberry Pecan Linzer Cookies
Did you try this Cream Cheese Sugar Cookie Recipe? Let me know by leaving a comment and rating below!Print
Soft and buttery brown butter cream cheese sugar cookies topped with frosting and sparkling sprinkles! The perfect holiday cutout cookie! Recipe makes 24 cookies.
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 oz reduced fat cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp pure almond extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 2–3 Tbsp milk
- 1 Tbsp light corn syrup
- 1/4 tsp pure almond extract
- pinch of salt
- Brown butter: Cook butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until it foams, turns clear, and then turns a deep brown, about 6 minutes. Pour browned butter into a glass measuring cup and chill in the freezer until solidified, about 45 minutes to an hour.
- Make cookies: Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Beat solidified brown butter and sugar in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until creamy; beat in cream cheese and egg until combined. Beat in extracts until incorporated. Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour mixture; beat just until incorporated.
- Divide dough in half and roll out each half into a 1/4-inch thickness between two pieces of parchment paper. Transfer to the refrigerator (keep flat) and chill for at least 1 hour, or overnight. Once the dough has chilled, preheat oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Remove the top layer of parchment paper from the dough and use cookie cutters to cut out cookies before transferring to prepared baking sheets. Chill in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Bake cookies for 12 to 14 minutes, rotating pans halfway through, until lightly golden and tops and edges are set. For smaller cookies, baking time will be approximately 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer baking sheets to wire racks and let cookies cool completely on baking sheets.
- Make frosting: Combine powdered sugar, milk, corn syrup, almond extract, and salt in a small bowl, whisking together until smooth and glossy. If the frosting seems too thick, add more milk, one teaspoon at a time, until you reach the desired consistency.
- Decorate cookies: Spread or pipe frosting onto cookies and top with sprinkles immediately, while the frosting is still wet. Let the frosting set completely before serving. Store cookies at room temperature.
Brown butter: Check out my full step-by-step recipe tutorial.
Cookie yield: About 2 dozen sugar cookies, depending on size. Yield will vary depending on the size of your cutter.
Make ahead: Shaped, unbaked cookies can be frozen up to 2 months and baked directly from the freezer, adding 1-2 minutes to baking time.
The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products I use and love!
Keywords: Brown Butter, Cream Cheese, Cutout Cookie, Holiday Cookie
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy.