I like to think of these mixed berry crumb bars as a portable version of a berry crisp or crumble. Pecans add richness to the buttery crumbs; brown sugar and cinnamon turn the berry filling into absolute bliss.
If you’re feeling extra indulgent, warm the bars and top with scoops of homemade vanilla bean ice cream. There’s no better way to savor summer just a bit longer.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 6 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup pecans, finely chopped
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup blackberries
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 375°F and line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper. Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Sprinkle butter over flour mixture and use a pastry cutter to cut in evenly until mixture resembles coarse meal. Fold in egg, vanilla, and pecans until combined. Reserve 1 cup of dough for topping; press remaining dough evenly into bottom of prepared baking dish. Bake crust for 10 to 11 minutes, until lightly golden and set. Transfer to a wire rack and cool for 10 minutes.
- For the filling, combine blueberries and blackberries in a medium bowl (if blackberries are large, cut in half). Combine brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, and cornstarch in a small bowl; add to fruit mixture and toss to combine. Spoon filling over crust and sprinkle with remaining topping. Bake for an additional 22 minutes, until golden and filling is bubbling. Cool completely in baking dish on a wire rack. Just before cutting, chill in the freezer for 15 minutes. Carefully lift parchment to remove bars from pan and place on a cutting board; cut into squares with a sharp knife.