maple-glazed carrot spice scones

I’m a person of habit: I thrive on routine, and this carries over to my eating schedule as well. Every afternoon about 3:00 pm, I need a pick-me-up to carry me through the rest of the day. Caffeine is a must, along with a snack; one of these maple-glazed carrot spice scones would do nicely.

Maple-Glazed Carrot Spice Scones | Tutti Dolci

Flaky and filled with warming spices (cinnamon and nutmeg), the brown butter-maple glaze sets these scones apart from the rest. Fresh from the oven, these are mini bites of heaven – I’m already looking forward to tomorrow’s breakfast!

Maple-Glazed Carrot Spice Scones | Tutti Dolci

6 Tbsp low-fat buttermilk

Glaze
1 Tbsp unsalted butter
1/2 cup powdered sugar, sifted
1 Tbsp maple syrup
1 1/2 Tbsp low-fat milk

Preheat oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper. Whisk together self-rising flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a large bowl. Dice butter into 1/2-inch pieces; sprinkle over flour mixture and use a pastry cutter to cut in evenly until mixture resembles coarse meal.

Fold carrots into flour mixture. Whisk together buttermilk, egg, and vanilla in a small bowl; add to flour mixture and fold in just until incorporated. Use a floured bench scraper to scrape dough out onto prepared baking sheet; use a lightly floured rolling pin to roll dough into an 8-by-10-inch rectangle. Score into 12 squares with floured bench scraper; score each square across the diagonal to create 24 triangles. Bake 12 to 14 minutes or until golden. Cool 2 minutes on baking sheet, then carefully transfer to wire rack to cool before slicing into wedges.

To prepare glaze, place butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until it foams, turns clear, and then turns a deep brown, about 6 minutes. Cool slightly. Sift powdered sugar into a small bowl; whisk in browned butter, maple syrup, and milk until smooth. Set rack with scones over a piece of wax paper and drizzle with glaze; let set before serving. Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature up to 2 days.

*Don’t have self-rising flour? Substitute 2 cups all-purpose flour plus 2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt (and include the 1/2 teaspoon baking soda). Increase the buttermilk to 1/2 cup.

Yield – 24 mini scones (serving size: 1 scone)

Comments

I’ll start with the new look – Love it!!! The photos are larger (yay!). And I don’t have to tell you how much I adore grey. :)

These scones are quite fetching too. I love the spicy kick of carrot cake, but never thought for channeling it into a scone. Brilliant!

These look and sound fantastic. I love how you took the classic carrot cake flavors and made them into a scone. The glaze sounds delightful too.

Laura, I swear. We are so similar! I need that afternoon coffee (and treat) as well! And I agree, these scones would do VERY nicely. So beautiful!

I think I’m going to call you “my brown butter friend”. Maybe that’s why I like you so much; you’re just a girl after my own heart. These scones sound amazingly, over the top, delicious but that brown butter maple icing is definitely the crowning glory, WOW!

Thanks for including the self-rising flour sub! We don’t have that here and I always have to look up the sub every time I use a recipe that calls for it.

And browned butter maple glaze? Hmm. If I just had that I would be set. The scones are just a side item to me. 😉

Love your header. Is that new? And I’ve pinned and will be making these soon for a my knitting group (I go for the chit-chat…my knitting stinks!). They look fantastic!

Being a creature of habit definitely has its merits! I like your 3pm pick-me-up..I tend to wait too long between lunch and dinner and end up stuffing my face…an afternoon snack with one of these scones sounds wonderful! I love maple glazes and have never made one homemade…the whole thing sounds amazing!

Looks great over here. I agree, I need that afternoon pick-up or I’ll never make it through the rest of the day. I need these scones. Soon. Hope you have a great weekend.
    -Gina-

You and I have caffeine at the same time in the afternoon. That is about the time that I start to crave it if I haven’t remembered to prepare a cup of tea by that time. These scones would be the perfect accompaniment.

Love the gray backdrop (one of my favorite colors)! :)

10. Lora @cakeduchess says

You know my snack time is around then as well. Too bad you aren’t a little bit closer I’d stop by to have a scone with you. Love these, Laura:)