Carrot cake scones drizzled with lemon butter glaze are the perfect way to welcome spring. You’ll love these soft and tender scones for breakfast!
- 3 cups flour
- 1 Tbsp aluminum free baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp cloves
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 to 1 1/2 cups cold heavy cream
- 1 1/4 cups grated carrots
- 1 Tbsp cold heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 tsp Meyer lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp Meyer lemon juice
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- For the scones, line two rimmed baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper. Whisk flour, baking powder, salt, spices, and sugar in a medium bowl. Combine vanilla extract with 1 1/3 cups heavy cream; drizzle cream over flour mixture and fold in just until flour is incorporated. Add carrots and gently fold in just until a shaggy dough forms – if needed, add 2 more tablespoons cream.
- Divide dough in half and turn out on a lightly floured board. Use lightly floured hands to pat each half into a 6-inch circle. Place the two circles of dough on prepared baking sheets and cut each circle into 7 wedges. Chill baking sheets in the freezer for 20 minutes while preheating oven to 425°F.
- Pull the wedges slightly apart, leaving an inch between them, and brush lightly with heavy cream and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 20 to 22 minutes, rotating baking sheets halfway through, until tops are set, edges are beginning to turn golden, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool scones for 5 minutes on baking sheets before removing to a wire rack to cool.
- For the glaze, whisk together melted butter, salt, Meyer lemon zest and juice, and powdered sugar in a small bowl. Drizzle glaze over scones and let set before serving.
Make ahead: Cut each circle of dough into wedges on baking sheet; cover and freeze overnight. Brush with cream, sprinkle with sugar, and bake directly from the freezer, adding 1-2 minutes to baking time. For longer storage, transfer frozen scones to a freezer bag until ready to use.