meyer lemon-brown butter bars

January 17, 2013

in Bars & Bites

If you’ve ever wondered what sunshine tastes like, look no further than these Meyer lemon-brown butter bars. Bright and bursting with Meyer lemon zest and juice, I’ve never liked a lemon bar more. The secret is pairing the fruity lemon filling with a brown butter shortbread crust. Brown butter improves most anything, adding a nutty aroma (reminiscent of toasted hazelnuts) that I adore.

Meyer Lemon-Brown Butter Bars | Tutti Dolci

Perfectly sweet-tart without any pucker, I can’t help but smile with each bite. Inevitably, you’ll find your fingers dusted in powdered sugar, but I like to think that’s half the fun! My search for the ultimate lemon bar is over.

Meyer Lemon-Brown Butter Bars | Tutti Dolci

Meyer Lemon-Brown Butter Bars
Crust
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup flour
1/3 cup powdered sugar

Filling
2 large eggs
1 1/2 Tbsp Meyer lemon zest (zest of 2 lemons)
1/3 cup fresh Meyer lemon juice
2 Tbsp flour
pinch of salt
Powdered sugar, for dusting

Cook butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until it foams, turns clear, and then turns a deep brown, about 6 minutes. Pour browned butter into a glass bowl and chill in the freezer until solid, about 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350°F and line an 8-inch baking dish with parchment paper. Whisk together flour, powdered sugar, and salt in a medium bowl. Dice solidified brown butter into 1/2-inch pieces; sprinkle over flour mixture and use a pastry cutter to cut in evenly until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add dough to prepared baking dish; use a piece of parchment to press dough into an even layer. Bake for 23 minutes, until crust is lightly golden.

Meanwhile, prepare filling. Lightly whisk eggs in a medium bowl. Whisk in sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, flour, and salt until smooth. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F and slowly pour filling over hot crust; return dish to oven and bake until filling is firm, about 22 minutes. Cool completely in dish on wire rack, then cover and place in the refrigerator until chilled.

Carefully lift parchment to remove bars from dish and place on a cutting board; cut into squares using a sharp knife and dust with powdered sugar just before serving. Store leftover bars in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 3 days.

Yield – 12 bars (serving size: 1 bar)

1 The Café Sucré Farine January 17, 2013

Oh Laura, these sound amazing! I’ve just started finding Meyer lemons in my markets this passed week and I was thrilled but now you’ve made me more thrilled with these fabulous treats. We’re crazy for lemon bars but I know the brown butter will make them beyond delicious. Thanks friend!

2 Jennifer | Mother Thyme January 17, 2013

Meyer lemons are one of my favorites and these bars look absolutely divine! Definitely a must try for me once I get my hands on some meyer lemons.

3 Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet January 17, 2013

I love brown butter anything! The idea of pairing it with meyer lemons is so brilliant, Laura! Need to try these for sure!

4 Lizzy (Good Things) January 17, 2013

Delightful! I adore Meyer Lemons and am bookmarking this recipe. Thank you for sharing, Laura.

5 Carol | a cup of mascarpone January 17, 2013

Holy meyer lemon!!! Laura, these look so mouthwateringly delicious!!!

6 Suzanne January 17, 2013

loving everything about these bars, lemon bar are one of my all time favorite desserts and then you kicked it up by using brown butter…perfect!

7 Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious January 17, 2013

You had me at brown butter! And yes, I definitely need to load up on these sunshine bars!

8 Valerie January 17, 2013

Okay so I’ll take two dozen, please! :D

9 Patty January 17, 2013

Lovely Laura! I’m so wanting to whip up a batch of these lovelies-the Meyer lemons are calling my name ;-)

10 Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel January 17, 2013

*hand’s raised* Hi, I’m Hayley, and I’m a brown butter addict. Seriously, I’m in LOVE with the stuff. And you managed to cram brown butter into these petite, lemony treats that I am currently drooling over. I want!

11 Sockmonkeys Kitchen January 17, 2013

Oh yum! I adore Meyer Lemons! I adore brown butter… and I adore sugar!
Holy Cow this is THE recipe I will need to make next.
Also – gorgeous pics. Pinning this on Pinterest as we speak =0)

12 Maureen | Orgasmic Chef January 17, 2013

wow, these look SO good. I must give these a try.

13 Alyssa (Everyday Maven) January 17, 2013

Beautiful Laura and sounds really delicious!

14 Denise Browning@From Brazil To You January 17, 2013

They are gorgeous, Laura! I love lemon bars and I bet these ones made with meyer lemons are even more wonderful.

15 Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella January 17, 2013

You’re so right about brown butter improving everything Laura! I’d like it as a perfume! :D

16 Averie @ Averie Cooks January 17, 2013

Laura they’re so pretty and love that you used browned butter and meyer lemons, two of my faves!

17 Rowena @ Apron and Sneakers January 17, 2013

You hit the spot Laura! I’m in love with your lemon bars!

18 Cassie | Bake Your Day January 17, 2013

These definitely look like sunshine! I love lemon bars and I bet the brown butter takes these to the next level!

19 Liz January 17, 2013

Oh, YUM! I’ve made Meyer lemon bars, but never with a brown butter crust! I’m swooning!!!

20 Alice @ Hip Foodie Mom January 17, 2013

These look amazing!!! yum!

21 Suzanne Perazzini January 17, 2013

There is definitely something very attractive about lemon bars and I don’t mind a little puckering.

22 Sandra's Easy Cooking January 17, 2013

I need that sunshine in my life. Beautifully made and recipe is so delicious too. Thank you for sharing Laura and have a great weekend ahead!

23 Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts January 17, 2013

I have been wanting to make lemon bars, and this is going to be my go to recipe – sounds amazing!

24 Jen L | Tartine ans Apron Strings January 17, 2013

Because I love both meyer lemon and brown butter, I KNOW an excellent recipe when I see one! This is a nice winter treat! And yes, meyer lemons bring a tartness without the pucker. Simply amazing flavour combination…

25 Rosa January 18, 2013

This is one of my favorite treats… Your bars look exquisite!

Cheers,

Rosa

26 Kate@Diethood January 18, 2013

Holy lemony lovelies!! YUM! I do love lemon bars, but that crust may become my new favorite! I love me some brown buttah!!

27 Jen @ Savory Simple January 18, 2013

I want to taste sunshine!

28 Sommer@ASpicyPerspective January 18, 2013

You are my treat hero!

29 Ashley - baker by nature January 18, 2013

Meyer lemons are the BEST! And browned butter?! Omg these bars are brilliant.

30 Rachael {Simply Fresh Cooking} January 18, 2013

I used to not care much for lemon desserts, but since I started eating healthier (and using lemons like a crazy person) I’m finding that I love desserts like this now. Looks divine. I’m in!

31 Gerry @ Foodness Gracious January 18, 2013

You just can’t fail with a lemon bar, the tart flavor and creaminess is perfect but wait….brown butter base, mmmmm

32 Nami | Just One Cookbook January 18, 2013

I can totally live off with winter fruits like Meyer lemons, yuzu, and tangerines… so juicy and oh thinking of these make me happy. So your bars will put me into heaven! I’ll drive all the way to pick it up! I really would! :D

33 Lisa {AuthenticSuburbanGourmet} January 19, 2013

I love this time of year with meyer lemons in full swing. Lemon bars are among my favorite bar cookies to make and with the addition of brown butter – you just sent these delights to a whole new level! Happy Saturday Laura!!!!

34 Deb January 19, 2013

Lemon Bars are my favorite dessert! But I have always stayed with tangy lemons such as a Lisbon and never ventured into sweet Meyer lemon territory! What a scrumptious idea and paired with a brown butter crust, even better!

35 Jean (Lemons & Anchovies) January 19, 2013

My favorite treat, hands down and you used meyer lemons, another favorite. A taste of sunshine is the perfect description for these beauties!

36 Julia {The Roasted Root} January 19, 2013

I could definitely use a taste of sunshine! This is perfect timing to get me looking forward to warm weather and blue skies! I’ve always enjoyed lemon bars and have yet to try them using meyer lemons and brown butter! What a treat!

37 Magic of Spice January 19, 2013

I just happen to have some meyer lemons and I am craving these babies! Sunshine indeed :)

38 Roxana | Roxana's Home Baking January 19, 2013

i have a hard time finding meyer lemons in my area. I wonder if I could try other citrus instead. These bars look absolutely AH-mazing Laura!!

39 Liren January 20, 2013

I have a special place in my heart for Meyer lemons, Laura, so my heart just sang when I saw these bars! My goodness! The brown butter base sounds divine, I do need to play with brown butter more :)

40 Kristi @ My San Francisco Kitchen January 20, 2013

My mom makes lemon bars all of the time, next time I go home to visit I would love to try this recipe with her!

41 Yasmeen @ Wandering Spice January 20, 2013

Fantastic as always, Laura. Our lemons have been annihilated by possums this year but it’s nothing a trip to the store can’t fix. Love the brown butter base. So great for this super hot weather we’re having.

42 Jenn and Seth January 20, 2013

oh man, meyer lemons AND brown butter? these sound AMAZING!!

43 Amy (Savory Moments) January 21, 2013

Oh my – these look insanely good. I love Meyer lemon desserts and the addition of brown butter takes them over the top. Very pretty, too!

44 Cookie and Kate January 21, 2013

I usually spring for the chocolatey treats, but I have a serious weakness for lemon bars. Your meyer lemon brown butter bars look divine!

45 Gina January 22, 2013

Meyer lemons make everything better don’t they? Yum so does brown butter, I like your twist on these favorite bars.
-Gina-

46 Terra January 24, 2013

Lemon bars are probably one of my favorite treats, and one I just never make, or eat enough for that matter. Seriously you just added brown butter to my love, and addiction…..to my favorite treat!!! OH MY LAND GIRL!!! Your bars look so delicious, Hugs, Terra

47 Liane March 3, 2013

I have to say that these bars are so good, I made them for a party yesterday and they got eaten. So today I made another batch for myself. I am SO HAPPY right now. This is going in the forever-rotation.

48 Tutti Dolci March 3, 2013

Hi Liane, so happy you liked the bars! :) I’ve made them three times and soon to make a 4th pan…

49 Dafna @ Stellina Sweets March 19, 2013

These look A-MAZING! I was just gifted some gorgeous Meyer lemons, which I’ve never used before. I haven’t baked much with lemons, but I’m so excited to try some new recipes, and this one seems wonderful, especially with the addition of the browned butter– YUM. :)