snickerdoodle & peach frozen yogurt sandwiches

July 17, 2012

in Frozen Treats

Snickerdoodles are one of my most favorite cookies. It’s impossible for me to eat just one, and I love shaping the dough into uniform rounds before rolling in cinnamon-sugar. On a whim, I placed a scoop of homemade peach frozen yogurt between two snickerdoodles, then impatiently watched the clock while the sandwich set up in the freezer. After a lovely taste testing session, I’m happy to share that pairing the pillowy cookies with creamy yogurt is pure perfection!

These treats will surely be in rotation for the remainder of peach season. Make the sweet and tangy peach frozen yogurt a day ahead of serving so it has time to firm up in the freezer – otherwise you’ll have a sticky (though delicious) mess on your hands!

Snickerdoodle & Peach Frozen Yogurt Sandwiches
Peach Frozen Yogurt
2 cups peaches, peeled and pitted
2 cups plain fat-free yogurt
6 Tbsp honey
2 Tbsp brandy
1 Tbsp peach balsamic vinegar

Place peaches, yogurt, honey, brandy, and vinegar in a food processor or blender; process until smooth and combined. Chill mixture for at least 4 hours in the refrigerator before pouring into frozen cylinder of ice cream maker; freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions. Spoon mixture into a freezer-safe container and place in the freezer overnight.

Snickerdoodles
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup plus 2 Tbsp sugar, divided
2 large eggs
2 tsp ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 400°F, with one rack in top third and one rack in bottom third of oven. Line two baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper.

Sift together flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt into a medium bowl. Beat butter and 1 cup sugar in a large mixer bowl until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla, beating to combine. Add the flour mixture, and mix just until incorporated.

Combine remaining 2 tablespoons sugar and the ground cinnamon in a small bowl. Form 4 dozen 1 1/4″ balls of dough, and roll in cinnamon sugar. Place about two inches apart on the baking sheets, and bake, rotating sheets after five minutes, until the cookies are set in the center and begin to crack, about 9 minutes. Cool for 2 minutes on baking sheets, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

To assemble sandwiches, let yogurt stand at room temperature for 20 minutes. Place a small scoop (about 2 tablespoons) yogurt onto 24 cookies and sandwich with remaining cookies. Wrap each sandwich in plastic wrap; freeze 2 hours or until firm. Let stand at room temperature 5 minutes before serving. Store leftovers in the freezer in an airtight container up to 1 week.

Yield – 24 frozen yogurt sandwiches (serving size: 1 sandwich)

1 Jennifer | Mother Thyme July 17, 2012

What a perfect summer treat! I am definitely making these soon!

2 Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious July 17, 2012

These are absolutely stunning! Snickerdoodles are my absolute favorite cookie, and I’m sure it serves as the perfect cookie base for this homemade frozen yogurt. Well done!

3 Patty July 17, 2012

Wow, these little frozen yogurt sandwiches look good! I have to buy a bag of peaches tonight at the farmers market and get out the ice cream maker;-)
Snickerdoodles are the perfect cookies for your frozen yogurt sandwiches, that’s for sure;-)

4 Lizzy (Good Things) July 17, 2012

Love the name, Laura, it always makes me smile. These seem to capture the essence of summer xox

5 Jean (Lemons and Anchovies) July 17, 2012

I love Snickerdoodles, too. What a terrific combination–they really just seem made for each other. :)

6 Sandra's Easy Cooking July 17, 2012

Oh Laura those look fantastic! Yes, it’s just impossible to eat only one:)) Great recipe!!!!!

7 Donna @ The Slow Roasted Italian July 17, 2012

How amazing these sound. I love cinnamon on my peaches, what a fantastic combination!

8 cassie July 17, 2012

Peach frozen yogurt + snickerdoodles is beyond an amazing dessert. I love this Laura!

9 Liz July 17, 2012

My youngest loves snickerdoodles, too! What a great idea to make ice cream sandwiches with them!

10 fabiola@notjustbaked July 17, 2012

DUDE! You had me at peach frozen yogurt:). And add cookies, I am a gonner. I have peaches, and Greek yogurt so it looks like I am making frozen yogurt for dessert.

11 Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet July 17, 2012

These look adorable, Laura! My girls will love them! My Hubby’s fav cookie is snickerdoodle so I think he will enjoy this treat as well :) Thank you for sharing!

12 Roxana | Roxana's Home Baking July 17, 2012

snickerdoodles are one of my favorite cookies as well and making sandwiches with peach yogurt ice-cream sounds like a great summer treat!

13 Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts July 17, 2012

Oh yum, what a great filling for between Snickerdoodles! Might be better than the Nutella I like to spread in between them :)

14 Jen L | Tartine ans Apron Strings July 17, 2012

Dee-licious! Dee-lightful! Can I have a bite (or two) now? The peach frozen yogurt sounds fresh and sweeeeeet! If only I have an ice cream maker, I’ll be making this right now!

15 Grammy July 17, 2012

Would nectarines substitute for the peaches? I just bought a half crate and would like to use them. These look so yummy and just the thing for a summer afternoon treat.

16 Tutti Dolci July 17, 2012

Nectarines would make a great substitute! I’m still waiting to enjoy my first ripe nectarine of the season – they seem to be quite late this year.

17 Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella July 17, 2012

What a fun idea to combine two great items together! :D

18 Nami | Just One Cookbook July 17, 2012

What a perfect ice cream to use for ice cream sandwich. I have never tried snickerdoodle (were you shocked?)… mus go together with this peach FY ice cream! I think I won’t stop after one or two… more like there is zero after that number. =D

19 Baker Street July 17, 2012

What a gorgeous summer treat! And a brilliant idea to combine the two together! :)

20 Valerie July 17, 2012

Oh, these look wonderful! Peaches and snickerdoodles…talk about a sweet pairing. (And when it comes to cookie sandwiches, the messier, the better.) :D

21 Charles July 18, 2012

Mmm, a sandwich which doesn’t have bread and cheese or meat? Sounds like my kind of sandwich! :D Looks fantastic Laura – I never actually had snickerdoodles… love the name though, so cool!

22 Minnie(@thelady8home) July 18, 2012

Fantastic treat!!!! Thy look so so so YUMMY!!!!! Th filling, its looking so mouthwatering.

23 Lisa { AuthenticSuburbanGourmet } July 18, 2012

Certainly can’t go wrong with a great snickerdoodle and yours look divine. Love the scoop of frozen yogurt in between – perfect for a hot summer day.

24 the wicked noodle July 18, 2012

Oh my gosh, Laura, I love all of your recipes but this one is especially WOW! Great combo of fresh flavors and such a treat!

25 Jen @ The Scrumptious Pumpkin July 18, 2012

I love, love your recipe for peach frozen yogurt. And so healthy too! With temps hitting the mid-90′s again today, it sounds like the most perfect treat right about now :)

26 Jessica@AKitchenAddiction July 18, 2012

What a wonderful combination! I need to try these soon!

27 Terra July 18, 2012

Snickerdoodles are my most favorite cookie in the whole world….especially my Grandma’s snickerdoodles:-) This is a great idea, what a fun mix of flavors! Beautiful, Hugs, Terra

28 Jen @ Savory Simple July 19, 2012

I also love snickerdoodles. Combining them with peach frozen yogurt sounds so good! What a fabulous summer treat.

29 Ali @ Gimme Some Oven July 19, 2012

Oh my goodness — what a brilliant combination! These look absolutely delightful. :)

30 Deb July 19, 2012

I’ve always liked the combination of cinnamon with peaches and pairing snickerdoodles with peach frozen yogurt is an irresistible summer treat!
An intoxicating summer celebration!

31 Lora @cakeduchess July 19, 2012

A super fun and delicious summer treat. It’s time for me to eat snickerdoodle cookies not only at Christmas! The ice-cream flavor is wonderful:)

32 Anne@FromMySweetHeart July 19, 2012

Laura…I just love this idea! I love snickerdoodles and never thought to use them as a sandwich cookie! And oh my gosh….that picture of the peach yogurt gently dripping down the side of the cookie is amazing! : )

33 Javelin Warrior July 19, 2012

On Fridays, I share my favorite food finds in a series called Food Fetish Friday. These were recommended to me by Danny from Boy and the Rabbit blog – and I’m so glad he pointed me in your direction. I’m featuring this post as part of today’s roundup (with a link-back and attribution) and I hope you have no objections. I’m happy to be following along with your creations…

34 Tutti Dolci July 19, 2012

Thanks for including me, I appreciate it! :)

35 Laura @ Family Spice July 20, 2012

Those are so cute!!! Snickerdoodles in ice cream sandies – great idea!

36 Magic of Spice July 20, 2012

I need to hang out with you all summer long! These are fantastic!

37 Suzanne July 20, 2012

My husbands favorite cookies so I know he would adore these. Great job, so cute too.

38 Sawsan (Chef in disguise) July 21, 2012

Hello Laura
I love snickerdoodle cookies too and peaches are one of my favorite summer fruits, I loved the idea of combining them in a cool summer treat

39 Nancy/SpicieFoodie July 22, 2012

Hi Laura,
Snickerdoodles are also one of my favorite cookies. They where actually the first cookies I learned to make. I’m loving your summery treat, they look so pretty and delicious. Thanks for sharing:)

40 brighteyedbaker July 22, 2012

I love that your blog is full of all things sweet; totally up my ally! These frozen yogurt sandwiches sound delicious – much lighter than your typical ice cream sandwich, sweet, and summery! The snickerdoodles seem like the perfect cookie to use in this combo, too. :)

41 tanja|scookingcorner July 27, 2012

I am ashamed to say, but I have never tried a snickerdoodle… Heard of them a lot, but here in Europe these are hard to find anywhere. Love the idea of filling them with frozen yogurt!! Thank you for sharing the recipe for snickerdoodles, Laura, this needs to be re-baked so soon!