snickerdoodle & peach frozen yogurt sandwiches

Snickerdoodles are one of my most favorite cookies. It’s impossible for me to eat just one, and I love shaping the dough into uniform rounds before rolling in cinnamon-sugar. On a whim, I placed a scoop of homemade peach frozen yogurt between two snickerdoodles, then impatiently watched the clock while the sandwich set up in the freezer. After a lovely taste testing session, I’m happy to share that pairing the pillowy cookies with creamy yogurt is pure perfection!

These treats will surely be in rotation for the remainder of peach season. Make the sweet and tangy peach frozen yogurt a day ahead of serving so it has time to firm up in the freezer – otherwise you’ll have a sticky (though delicious) mess on your hands!

Snickerdoodle & Peach Frozen Yogurt Sandwiches
Peach Frozen Yogurt
2 cups peaches, peeled and pitted
2 cups plain fat-free yogurt
6 Tbsp honey
2 Tbsp brandy
1 Tbsp peach balsamic vinegar

Place peaches, yogurt, honey, brandy, and vinegar in a food processor or blender; process until smooth and combined. Chill mixture for at least 4 hours in the refrigerator before pouring into frozen cylinder of ice cream maker; freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions. Spoon mixture into a freezer-safe container and place in the freezer overnight.

Snickerdoodles
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup plus 2 Tbsp sugar, divided
2 large eggs
2 tsp ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 400°F, with one rack in top third and one rack in bottom third of oven. Line two baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper.

Sift together flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt into a medium bowl. Beat butter and 1 cup sugar in a large mixer bowl until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla, beating to combine. Add the flour mixture, and mix just until incorporated.

Combine remaining 2 tablespoons sugar and the ground cinnamon in a small bowl. Form 4 dozen 1 1/4″ balls of dough, and roll in cinnamon sugar. Place about two inches apart on the baking sheets, and bake, rotating sheets after five minutes, until the cookies are set in the center and begin to crack, about 9 minutes. Cool for 2 minutes on baking sheets, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

To assemble sandwiches, let yogurt stand at room temperature for 20 minutes. Place a small scoop (about 2 tablespoons) yogurt onto 24 cookies and sandwich with remaining cookies. Wrap each sandwich in plastic wrap; freeze 2 hours or until firm. Let stand at room temperature 5 minutes before serving. Store leftovers in the freezer in an airtight container up to 1 week.

Yield – 24 frozen yogurt sandwiches (serving size: 1 sandwich)

Comments

Wow, these little frozen yogurt sandwiches look good! I have to buy a bag of peaches tonight at the farmers market and get out the ice cream maker;-)
    Snickerdoodles are the perfect cookies for your frozen yogurt sandwiches, that’s for sure;-)

2. Grammy says

Would nectarines substitute for the peaches? I just bought a half crate and would like to use them. These look so yummy and just the thing for a summer afternoon treat.

• Tutti Dolci says

Nectarines would make a great substitute! I’m still waiting to enjoy my first ripe nectarine of the season – they seem to be quite late this year.

What a perfect ice cream to use for ice cream sandwich. I have never tried snickerdoodle (were you shocked?)… mus go together with this peach FY ice cream! I think I won’t stop after one or two… more like there is zero after that number. =D

Oh, these look wonderful! Peaches and snickerdoodles…talk about a sweet pairing. (And when it comes to cookie sandwiches, the messier, the better.) 😀

Mmm, a sandwich which doesn’t have bread and cheese or meat? Sounds like my kind of sandwich! 😀 Looks fantastic Laura – I never actually had snickerdoodles… love the name though, so cool!

Snickerdoodles are my most favorite cookie in the whole world….especially my Grandma’s snickerdoodles:-) This is a great idea, what a fun mix of flavors! Beautiful, Hugs, Terra

I’ve always liked the combination of cinnamon with peaches and pairing snickerdoodles with peach frozen yogurt is an irresistible summer treat!
    An intoxicating summer celebration!

8. Lora @cakeduchess says

A super fun and delicious summer treat. It’s time for me to eat snickerdoodle cookies not only at Christmas! The ice-cream flavor is wonderful:)

Laura…I just love this idea! I love snickerdoodles and never thought to use them as a sandwich cookie! And oh my gosh….that picture of the peach yogurt gently dripping down the side of the cookie is amazing! : )

On Fridays, I share my favorite food finds in a series called Food Fetish Friday. These were recommended to me by Danny from Boy and the Rabbit blog – and I’m so glad he pointed me in your direction. I’m featuring this post as part of today’s roundup (with a link-back and attribution) and I hope you have no objections. I’m happy to be following along with your creations…

Hi Laura,
    Snickerdoodles are also one of my favorite cookies. They where actually the first cookies I learned to make. I’m loving your summery treat, they look so pretty and delicious. Thanks for sharing:)

I love that your blog is full of all things sweet; totally up my ally! These frozen yogurt sandwiches sound delicious – much lighter than your typical ice cream sandwich, sweet, and summery! The snickerdoodles seem like the perfect cookie to use in this combo, too. :)

I am ashamed to say, but I have never tried a snickerdoodle… Heard of them a lot, but here in Europe these are hard to find anywhere. Love the idea of filling them with frozen yogurt!! Thank you for sharing the recipe for snickerdoodles, Laura, this needs to be re-baked so soon!