This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy.
Soft and chewy maple brown butter sugar cookies are perfect for fall baking!
I hope your coffee is prepped because you’ll want a steaming mug to pair with these maple brown butter sugar cookies, just the thing to savor midafternoon. While I adore the flavor of maple syrup, I often find maple desserts a bit too sweet – nutty brown butter is a nice counterpoint to dark amber maple syrup and keeps the sweetness in check.
Add an irresistible maple drizzle and you have the perfect finish for these soft and chewy maple sugar cookies!
- 10 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 tsp maple extract
- 1/4 cup dark amber maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 2 Tbsp dark amber maple syrup
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 1/4 tsp maple extract
- Cook butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until it foams, turns clear, and then turns a deep brown, about 6 minutes. Pour browned butter into a glass measuring cup and chill in the freezer until solidified, about 45 minutes to an hour.
- Whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt in a medium bowl. Beat solidified brown butter and sugars in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until creamy; beat in egg and egg yolk. Add maple extract and maple syrup, beating until well combined. Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour mixture; beat just until incorporated. Cover dough and chill in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (If cookie dough has chilled overnight, let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes before baking). Line two baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper. Form 1 1/2-inch balls of dough and place two inches apart on prepared baking sheets; flatten mounds slightly. Bake, rotating pans halfway through, for 11 to 12 minutes, until lightly golden and edges are set. Cool for 3 minutes on baking sheets, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the glaze, whisk together melted butter, maple syrup, and salt in a small bowl. Whisk in powdered sugar, milk, and maple extract until smooth. Drizzle glaze over cookies; let set before serving.
- Calories: 165
- Carbohydrates: 25
Keywords: Maple, Maple Syrup, Brown Butter, Sugar Cookie, Cookie