On a breezy late spring morning, there’s no better way to begin the day than with chocolate chip cream scones. Golden and tender, the pillowy triangles are studded with mini chocolate chips for a touch of richness. Brushed with cream and sprinkled with cinnamon-sugar, these beauties emerge from the oven slightly bronzed and ready to be devoured.
Served up warm with a slather of butter and just enough chocolate to satisfy your cravings, these scones are the perfect bite of sweetness.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 Tbsp aluminum free baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste or extract
- 1 1/3 to 1 1/2 cups cold heavy cream
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp cold heavy cream
- For the scones, line two rimmed baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper. Whisk flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a medium bowl. Combine vanilla with 1 1/3 cups heavy cream and drizzle over flour mixture; fold in just until flour is incorporated. Add mini chocolate chips and gently fold in just until a shaggy dough forms – if needed, add 2 more tablespoons cream.
- Divide dough in half and turn out on a lightly floured board. Use lightly floured hands to pat each half into a 6-inch circle. Place the two circles of dough on prepared baking sheets and cut each circle into 7 wedges. Chill baking sheets in the freezer for 20 minutes while preheating oven to 425°F.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Pull the wedges slightly apart, leaving an inch between them, and brush lightly with heavy cream and sprinkle generously with cinnamon-sugar. Bake for 16 to 18 minutes, rotating baking sheets halfway through, until tops are set, edges are beginning to turn golden, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool scones for 5 minutes on baking sheets before removing to a wire rack to cool.
Make ahead: Cut each circle of dough into wedges on baking sheet; cover and freeze overnight. Brush with cream, sprinkle with sugar, and bake directly from the freezer, adding 1-2 minutes to baking time. For longer storage, transfer frozen scones to a freezer bag until ready to use.
Keywords: chocolate, chocolate chip