honey-oatmeal rolls

If I had to choose between bread and chocolate, I’d pick bread. It’s my carb of choice and when I don’t have fresh bread in the pantry, all is not right in the world. Though I often buy bread as a timesaver, there’s truly nothing better than fresh baked. These are the rolls I can’t stop eating, even if I tried.

Honey-Oatmeal Rolls | Tutti Dolci

The golden and pillowy buns are wonderful topped with peanut butter and honey (and life changing when devoured warm with Nutella!). No matter what topping you choose, you can’t go wrong.

Honey-Oatmeal Rolls | Tutti Dolci

3 Tbsp honey
2 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened

Topping
1 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 Tbsp honey
1/4 cup rolled oats

Combine bread flour, oats, salt and yeast in a large mixer bowl; mix on low speed until incorporated. Heat milk in a microwave-safe measuring cup for 45 seconds to 1 minute, until very warm (120-130°F). Add warm milk, honey, and butter to flour mixture and mix until combined.

Switch out the flat beater for a dough hook, and knead dough for 5 minutes until smooth. The dough is ready when it pulls away from bottom of the mixer bowl (if the dough sticks to the bowl, add a teaspoon or two of flour while kneading). Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray and cover with plastic. Let the dough rise in a warm place until doubled in size (about 1 hour).

To check if dough has doubled, lightly flour two fingers and press them down into center of dough. If indentations remain, punch dough down and turn out onto a silicone mat or lightly floured board; let rest 5 minutes. Spray two round baking dishes with nonstick spray. Divide dough into 2 equal-sized portions, and form each portion into a round ball with lightly floured hands. Cut each portion of dough into 8 pieces, for a total of 16 pieces.

Roll each piece into a ball, gently stretching the dough over itself and pinching together at the bottom. Place each roll seam-side down in prepared pans (8 rolls per pan), spacing rolls 1 inch apart. Cover with plastic and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 35 minutes. In the last 10 minutes of rising, preheat oven to 350°F.

Combine butter and honey in a small bowl and heat in the microwave until melted, about 30 seconds. Brush glaze over rolls; sprinkle with oats. Bake for 16 minutes, until golden and an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center bun registers 190°F. Cool in pans on wire rack for 5 minutes; turn out of pans to cool completely. Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature up to 2 days or freeze up to 3 months.

Yield – 16 rolls
Calories – 150 (per roll)

Comments

I’d go a step further and say that rolls are the tippy top best thing in the whole bread category. I can take or leave a loaf of bread, but can never resist a soft cushiony roll. When you scatter oats over the top, even better! These look like comfort and love all in one bite. (can you tell I’m hungry??)

Oh my goodness! Laura, you are making me drool! Love the oatmeal sprinkled on top of these golden, fresh and hot from the oven, pillowy dough bombs from Heaven! I’m with you about Nutella on these bad boys…and, the peanut butter and honey thing…probably, homemade PB with honey roasted peanuts? I. DIE. Thanks for sharing, girl! xo

I think the only thing that could up the deliciousness here would be to stuff them with chocolate prior to baking. He he. I agree bread is my weakness, that and cookies. You have been baking up a storm, can’t wait for it to cool a little so I can bake more. Hope you have a great weekend.
    -Gina-

• Tutti Dolci says

Now all I’m going to think about is how wonderful these would be stuffed with chocolate… I have a feeling I’ll be trying that next time :).

4. Lora @cakeduchess says

fabulous rolls, Laura! Oatmeal and honey in pillowy rolls: DIVINE! Spread with Nutella when it’s just out of the oven…paradiso:))

I agree there is no better way to start the day than with fresh homemade bread! Honey and oatmeal are a magnificent combination worthy of a slather of butter and a scoop of jam!

They look incredible! I have an oatmeal/breadflour/honey roll I made about a year ago. They are dense and chewy and thick. Yours look lighter and not quite as oatey and like they’re super soft and fluffy. I love them! The lightly golden tops are just perfect. Pinned!

Hmm bread or chocolate… if I have to pick really good bread vs really good chocolate, I think I’d also pick bread. I was in heaven in Japan…bakeries EVERY corner and fresh bread all the time (more European than American influence in bakeries in Japan – we don’t even have cupcakes in Japan, can you believe it?). Now I have to drive several miles to get decent bread here. So sad. I really need to pick up on bread making soon. You really inspire me!

Laura, I missed these the other day but I’m so glad I saw them today. I’m afraid however that I could eat the whole pan. I’m sure that when they’re warm from the oven they’re a tiny taste of heaven, for sure!

I can just about smell these rolls from Paris, warm from the oven! Laura, I’m a bit late here and can imagine everyone has torn off a piece but love the look of them. Oatmeal is one of my favourites too. Perfection!