honey-oatmeal rolls

August 1, 2013

in Breads & Quick Breads

If I had to choose between bread and chocolate, I’d pick bread. It’s my carb of choice and when I don’t have fresh bread in the pantry, all is not right in the world. Though I often buy bread as a timesaver, there’s truly nothing better than fresh baked. These are the rolls I can’t stop eating, even if I tried.

Honey-Oatmeal Rolls | Tutti Dolci

The golden and pillowy buns are wonderful topped with peanut butter and honey (and life changing when devoured warm with Nutella!). No matter what topping you choose, you can’t go wrong.

Honey-Oatmeal Rolls | Tutti Dolci

3 Tbsp honey
2 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened

Topping
1 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 Tbsp honey
1/4 cup rolled oats

Combine bread flour, oats, salt and yeast in a large mixer bowl; mix on low speed until incorporated. Heat milk in a microwave-safe measuring cup for 45 seconds to 1 minute, until very warm (120-130°F). Add warm milk, honey, and butter to flour mixture and mix until combined.

Switch out the flat beater for a dough hook, and knead dough for 5 minutes until smooth. The dough is ready when it pulls away from bottom of the mixer bowl (if the dough sticks to the bowl, add a teaspoon or two of flour while kneading). Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray and cover with plastic. Let the dough rise in a warm place until doubled in size (about 1 hour).

To check if dough has doubled, lightly flour two fingers and press them down into center of dough. If indentations remain, punch dough down and turn out onto a silicone mat or lightly floured board; let rest 5 minutes. Spray two round baking dishes with nonstick spray. Divide dough into 2 equal-sized portions, and form each portion into a round ball with lightly floured hands. Cut each portion of dough into 8 pieces, for a total of 16 pieces.

Roll each piece into a ball, gently stretching the dough over itself and pinching together at the bottom. Place each roll seam-side down in prepared pans (8 rolls per pan), spacing rolls 1 inch apart. Cover with plastic and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 35 minutes. In the last 10 minutes of rising, preheat oven to 350°F.

Combine butter and honey in a small bowl and heat in the microwave until melted, about 30 seconds. Brush glaze over rolls; sprinkle with oats. Bake for 16 minutes, until golden and an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center bun registers 190°F. Cool in pans on wire rack for 5 minutes; turn out of pans to cool completely. Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature up to 2 days or freeze up to 3 months.

Yield – 16 rolls
Calories – 150 (per roll)

1 Sue/the view from great island August 1, 2013

I’d go a step further and say that rolls are the tippy top best thing in the whole bread category. I can take or leave a loaf of bread, but can never resist a soft cushiony roll. When you scatter oats over the top, even better! These look like comfort and love all in one bite. (can you tell I’m hungry??)

2 Marta @ What Should I eat for breakfast today August 1, 2013

I am not sure about you choice, hahaha. But if the bread goes with Nutella, we can talk ;)

3 Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen August 1, 2013

Oh my goodness! Laura, you are making me drool! Love the oatmeal sprinkled on top of these golden, fresh and hot from the oven, pillowy dough bombs from Heaven! I’m with you about Nutella on these bad boys…and, the peanut butter and honey thing…probably, homemade PB with honey roasted peanuts? I. DIE. Thanks for sharing, girl! xo

4 Kelly August 1, 2013

Oh these look simply perfect! What a great recipe! :)

5 Anne@FromMySweetHeart August 1, 2013

Wow, Laura…just looking at these you can tell how light and fluffy they are! I have a new obsession with honey…..and these would be the perfect roll to pair it with! Beautiful photos!

6 Ashley@BakerbyNature August 1, 2013

Oh these rolls are too perfect! I would definitely take these over chocolate… well, maybe ;) I’d probably want both hehe

7 Gina August 1, 2013

I think the only thing that could up the deliciousness here would be to stuff them with chocolate prior to baking. He he. I agree bread is my weakness, that and cookies. You have been baking up a storm, can’t wait for it to cool a little so I can bake more. Hope you have a great weekend.
-Gina-

8 Tutti Dolci August 1, 2013

Now all I’m going to think about is how wonderful these would be stuffed with chocolate… I have a feeling I’ll be trying that next time :).

9 Sophie August 1, 2013

Pretty sure these look INSANE! I love honey oatmeal anything.

10 Valerie August 1, 2013

I’d choose these rolls over chocolate any day! They look irresistible.
Do I spy a jar of Bonne Maman in the background? :D

11 Kate from Scratch August 1, 2013

These look so delicious – I can’t imagine a life without bread. That’s my personal hell. haha. Looks heavenly here!

12 Liz August 1, 2013

Honey oat is my favorite bread! Yours looks top notch, Laura!

13 Susan August 1, 2013

Just gorgeous, Laura! I agree – there’s nothing like homemade bread! I love honey & oats so will have to try these.

14 Nik@ABrownTable August 1, 2013

These look wonderful and so fresh, the smell of bread baking in the oven is really amazing!

15 Gourmantine August 1, 2013

Oh, how wonderful they look, I’d add nutella to mine :)

16 Tiffany | baking at tiffanys August 1, 2013

Wow you would choose bread over chocolate? Hm I have to admit both are the perfect comfort foods, though in different ways. Your rolls look so perfect, wish I could try some with even just a spread of butter.

17 Ash- foodfashionparty August 1, 2013

That’s a tough choice, but your rolls are crazy good looking, maybe I’ll dunk them in melted chocolate..;).

18 Lora @cakeduchess August 1, 2013

fabulous rolls, Laura! Oatmeal and honey in pillowy rolls: DIVINE! Spread with Nutella when it’s just out of the oven…paradiso:))

19 Lisa {AuthenticSuburbanGourmet} August 1, 2013

Laura – I am right there with you – bread all the way! These rolls look and sound AMAZING! Lovely photos!

20 Sarah | The Sugar Hit August 1, 2013

MMMM, these look wonderful. Is there anything better than the smell of a warm pillowy roll straight from the oven?

21 Deb August 1, 2013

I agree there is no better way to start the day than with fresh homemade bread! Honey and oatmeal are a magnificent combination worthy of a slather of butter and a scoop of jam!

22 suzanne Perazzini August 1, 2013

Even if I can’t touch them, I love the look of them and appreciate their beauty and have fond memories of them.

23 Kate@Diethood August 1, 2013

Dude. These look fantastic!!! I would looooove to just tear one roll right off that loaf…mmmmmmm!

24 Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious August 1, 2013

I would choose bread over chocolate too! And these rolls = perfection! I could seriously make a meal out of these.

25 Rosa August 2, 2013

Beautiful! I love oatmeal, so I’m sure your gorgeous rolls would not last very long at my place…

Cheers,

Rosa

26 Maria@PinkPatisserie August 2, 2013

Beautiful rolls, wish I had one right now. I hope there never comes a time when we have to choose between bread and chocolate.. It would be tragic!

27 Lokness @ The Missing Lokness August 2, 2013

Nommm…. These look like some really soft and tasty bread rolls! I would love to make some.

28 Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking August 2, 2013

These are flawless, Laura! Such lovely rolls!

29 Rayna August 2, 2013

These are so pretty! I love homemade bread.

30 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com August 2, 2013

I love that these are made with oatmeal and in a pan. So cute!

31 Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet August 2, 2013

Love these fluffy rolls!

32 Gerry @ Foodness Gracious August 2, 2013

I’m right there with you on the carb choice, bread is so addictive and some good butter just sells it for me. Fantastic as always…

33 Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella August 2, 2013

Laura, I’d definitely take these rolls over chocolate! They look wonderful! :D

34 Maureen | Orgasmic Chef August 2, 2013

While I love chocolate, I’d choose bread any day. These rolls look smashing!

35 Patty August 3, 2013

Beautiful rolls Laura! I love the combination of bread and chocolate-especially makes good picnic food ;)

36 Averie @ Averie Cooks August 3, 2013

They look incredible! I have an oatmeal/breadflour/honey roll I made about a year ago. They are dense and chewy and thick. Yours look lighter and not quite as oatey and like they’re super soft and fluffy. I love them! The lightly golden tops are just perfect. Pinned!

37 Jennifer August 5, 2013

These look delicious! And I’m definitely in the bread over chocolate camp, too (as I’m sure you could guess from my blog :)

38 Erin @ Texanerin Baking August 5, 2013

I’ll take dinner rolls over sweets. Any day. Bread… it depends. But rolls?! Oh man. Those are dangerous to have around!

And gooorgeous rolls you have here. The oatmeal adds such a nice touch!

39 Nami | Just One Cookbook August 6, 2013

Hmm bread or chocolate… if I have to pick really good bread vs really good chocolate, I think I’d also pick bread. I was in heaven in Japan…bakeries EVERY corner and fresh bread all the time (more European than American influence in bakeries in Japan – we don’t even have cupcakes in Japan, can you believe it?). Now I have to drive several miles to get decent bread here. So sad. I really need to pick up on bread making soon. You really inspire me!

40 The Café Sucre Farine August 7, 2013

Laura, I missed these the other day but I’m so glad I saw them today. I’m afraid however that I could eat the whole pan. I’m sure that when they’re warm from the oven they’re a tiny taste of heaven, for sure!

41 Jill@MadAboutMacarons August 9, 2013

I can just about smell these rolls from Paris, warm from the oven! Laura, I’m a bit late here and can imagine everyone has torn off a piece but love the look of them. Oatmeal is one of my favourites too. Perfection!