chocolate-mint sandwich cookies

I know I’ve shared my love of chocolate mint desserts with you previously. For whatever reason, it’s my go-to flavor combination, and one I never tire of. Childhood nostalgia, perhaps? During family trips to the ice cream store, chocolate mint ice cream always found its way onto my sugar cone, and sometimes you simply don’t grow out of habits.

Chocolate-Mint Sandwich Cookies | Tutti Dolci

These chocolate-mint sandwich cookies take care of my chocolate-mint fix in the best way: the chocolate stars are tender and rich with cocoa while the creamy mint filling is just right. With St. Patrick’s day on the horizon, these cookies would make a festive dessert, especially if you use a clover cookie cutter.

Chocolate-Mint Sandwich Cookies | Tutti Dolci

2 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/4 cup Mascarpone, at room temperature
1/8 tsp peppermint extract
pinch of salt
1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
1/2 Tbsp low-fat milk

For the cookies, whisk together flour, cocoa, salt, and baking powder in a medium bowl. Beat butter in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until creamy; add sugar. Beat in egg and vanilla. Reduce speed to low; gradually add flour mixture and beat just until incorporated. Wrap dough with plastic and chill in the refrigerator for at least one hour.

Preheat oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper. Divide the dough into 2 sections; working with one section at a time, roll dough out to 1/8-inch thickness on a lightly floured board. Use a 2-inch star cutter to cut into stars. Repeat with remaining dough, re-rolling scraps as needed, until you have 48 stars (brush off excess flour, though it disappears once baked). Bake for 9 to 10 minutes, until cookies are slightly puffed and edges are firm. Cool for 2 minutes on baking sheets, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

For the filling, beat butter and Mascarpone in a large mixer bowl on medium speed for 1 minute. Add peppermint extract and salt; beat another 30 seconds. Reduce speed to low and gradually add powdered sugar until incorporated. Add milk and beat on medium speed for about 30 seconds, until filling is creamy and smooth (if filling appears too soft, chill in the refrigerator for 20 to 30 minutes).

Spoon filling into a small plastic bag and cut a narrow opening from one corner. Pipe filling onto center and each star point of half the cookies, then sandwich with remaining cookies, pressing gently. Chill filled cookies in the refrigerator for at least an hour before serving. Store leftover sandwich cookies in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 2 days.

Yield – 24 cookie sandwiches (serving size: 1)

I love how you use Mascarpone for the mint filling, Laura. It has such a creamy texture. These cookies are adorable in star shape–you did such a lovely job styling them!

When I was a teenager my favorite ice cream was Chocolate Mint! The combination of flavors is always enticing! What a delicious idea for St. Patrick’s Day!

These cookies are so pretty Laura! I have a quirky thing…I love chocolate and mint together in just about everything …but I don’t like Thin Mints girl scout cookies. ??? I know! But these brownie sandwich cookies look fabulous….and you are right…a perfect recipe for St. Patrick’s Day!

I love chocolate and mint together! What’s weird is that everyone I know… doesn’t. I don’t understand why. But wait! The weird thing is that these same people love After Eights but otherwise, chocolate and mint is out of the question for them. Bizarre.

And I think these are terribly festive even without a clover cookie butter! :) And love that you used mascarpone!

You can practically smell the mint just looking at the pictures. :) So pretty. I love the variety of textures in this cookie too. The filling sounds delicious.

6. Lora @cakeduchess says

My daughter would be thrilled if I made her these…she’s a choco-mint fan:))So, so pretty, Laura.

So pretty, Laura! My family is crazy about mint chip ice cream and cookies and I can’t wait to bake a batch. The mascarpone filling is just luscious sounding. You’re right, so much nostalgia in this flavor combo!

I just had to come over here and tell you how much I love these cookies. Like you, I cannot resist chocolate mint ice cream. It also goes back from childhood that I cannot shake off. One question. I don’t have peppermint extract but I have some fresh mint leaves. How can I replace the leaves with the extract?

• Tutti Dolci says

Hi Rowena, I’d take some of your fresh mint leaves and finally chop them to release the oils, then beat them in with the butter and Mascarpone. Let me know if you try it!

9. Norma says

Hi there – just started rolling these out and noticed I’m nowhere near 48 cookies – for 24 sandwiches. Is the yield accurate or have I mixed something up? Thanks!

• Tutti Dolci says

Hi Norma, what size cutter are you using? Mine was 2 inches. I rolled the dough to 1/8-inch thickness and re-rolled the scraps. The yield will vary based on the size cutter and thickness of the dough. Hope that helps!

• Norma says

Wow – quick reply, thank you! I spoke too soon :) just got overwhelmed after my first cut! I think my star was about .5″ wider, so I made them a bit thinner and came to 47!
        Super scrumptious outcome, thanks for an awesome new recipe!