chocolate peppermint crinkle cookies
Say hello to your new favorite holiday cookie: chocolate peppermint crinkle cookies! So rich, so decadent, and so dreamy, these snowy cookies remind me of a winter wonderland.
Crackled tops give way to soft and fudgy centers, flecked with crushed peppermint candy canes that melt ever so slightly into the dough while baking. Finished with a generous roll in powdered sugar (because the more, the merrier!), these crinkle cookies are Christmas bliss!
Perfect Chocolate Peppermint Crinkle Cookies
Rolling the cookie dough in granulated sugar before coating in powdered sugar helps the cookies crackle as they bake, and keeps the powdered sugar coating in place, for perfect crinkles with every batch!
Say hello to your new favorite holiday cookie: chocolate peppermint crinkle cookies! So rich, so decadent, and so dreamy, these cookies are Christmas bliss.
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 tsp pure peppermint extract
- 4 peppermint candy canes, crushed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 325°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Place chocolate and butter in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high for 30 seconds. Remove and stir. Continue microwaving and stirring in 15 second intervals until melted and smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk together sugar, brown sugar, eggs, and peppermint extract in a large bowl until combined; add cooled chocolate mixture and whisk until smooth. Fold in flour mixture just until incorporated, then fold in crushed candy canes. Let dough stand at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- Place granulated sugar and powdered sugar in separate shallow bowls. Use a cookie scoop coated with nonstick spray to scoop 1 1/2-inch balls of dough. Roll in granulated sugar to coat, then coat generously in powdered sugar. Place two inches apart on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake, rotating pans halfway through, for 14 to 15 minutes, until puffed and cracked, with edges set. Let cookies cool for 15 minutes on baking sheets, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Rolling the cookies in granulated sugar first before rolling in powdered sugar helps the cookies crackle and keeps the powered sugar coating in place. Adapted from Cook’s Illustrated
- Calories: 128
- Carbohydrates: 22
Keywords: Chocolate, Peppermint, Crinkle Cookies, Holiday Cookies