apple crumble bars

A winning dessert is one you are forced to hide from yourself so that you won’t eat the entire pan in one sitting. These bars are that kind of dessert: caramelized apple slices plus layers of cinnamon-graham crumbs and a sprinkle of toffee bits all lead to a fine apple crumble, albeit in bar form.

Apple Crumble Bars | Tutti Dolci

A few notes: I kept things rustic and left my apples unpeeled; sweet-tart varieties like Honeycrisp or Braeburn are ideal here. If you’d like to make your own apple butter for the filling, here’s a homemade sugar-free recipe.

Apple Crumble Bars | Tutti Dolci

Apple Crumble Bars
1/4 cup graham flour
1/8 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
2 Tbsp light brown sugar

Filling & Topping
1/2 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 Tbsp light brown sugar
1 cup thinly sliced apples
1/4 cup apple butter
2 Tbsp toffee bits

Preheat oven to 350°F and line an 8-inch baking dish with parchment paper. Whisk together flours, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a medium bowl. Combine melted butter, sugars, and vanilla in a medium bowl. Add flour mixture and fold in until incorporated. Reserve 1/2 cup of dough for topping; press remaining dough evenly into bottom of prepared baking dish.

Melt butter and brown sugar in a skillet over medium heat. Add apples and sauté until golden and slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Use a small spatula to spread apple butter over dough; top with caramelized apples. Crumble remaining dough over filling; sprinkle with toffee bits. Bake for 25 to 27 minutes, until golden. Cool completely in baking dish on a rack, then cut into bars with a sharp knife. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 2 days.

Yield – 12 bars
Calories – 190 (per bar)

Comments

HoneyCrisp are the best tasting apples! I understand completely, there is no way I could eat only one square of the Apple Crumble Bars. Just to scrumptious!

Beautiful apple bars, Laura! I just adore Honeycrisp apples. They’re my all-time favorite variety…they taste like “apple cider apples”, LOL! Love that you used your favorite graham flour to put your spin on enhancing the flavors along with brown sugar and toffee bits. Spectacular recipe, girl…thanks for sharing!

3. Lora @cakeduchess says

I would have to hide them from myself since apple desserts are my favorite. I have to bake my next bars with graham flour. Looks fantastic, Laura!

4. Cristina says

Great crumbly topping. Like that you kept the apples unpeeled, will have to try that! A great Fall (or anytime of the year) dessert and treat. 😀

My daughter learned about apples whole week last week in her kindergarten and everyday she’s talking about apples and some recipes. I think this crumble bars look so good that she and I should bake and eat together! I love crumbles and need extra… 😀

Hey Laura, These look amazing. I was wondering if the apple butter is crucial to your filling recipe. Is there something else one can use or forgo it if I don’t have it around? Thanks!

• Tutti Dolci says

Hi Meredith, you could substitute caramel sauce, a favorite jam, or just skip it and increase the sautéed apples by half. Hope that helps!

7. Watergirl says

Loved this! I didn’t have any toffee bits, but I substituted pecan bits and drizzled Bourbon Pecan Caramel sauce on top. OMG.

What a beautiful and delicious looking bar! Those flavors are divine. Couldn’t agree more about your definition of a “winning dessert”!!