Layer cake dreams are made of Nutella swirl layer cake! This delicous cake features swirls of Nutella and plenty of silky Nutella frosting!
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour (see note below)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup Nutella
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup Nutella
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray two 8-inch round cake pans with nonstick spray. Line the bottom of the cake pans with parchment paper.
- Whisk together cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Beat butter and sugar in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until light and fluffy; beat in vanilla. Add eggs one at a time and beat until combined. Combine buttermilk and Greek yogurt in a small bowl. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with buttermilk mixture (begin and end with flour mixture).
- Divide batter evenly between cake pans and smooth with an offset spatula. Dollop spoonfuls of Nutella over the batter, gently swirling with a toothpick or wooden skewer. Tap pans sharply to reduce air bubbles.
- Bake for 30 to 34 minutes, until the top and edges are golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and the edges are pulling slightly away from the pan. Cool cakes for 20 minutes in pans on a wire rack before inverting onto wire racks to cool completely.
- For the frosting, beat butter and salt in a large mixer bowl on medium speed until combined, about 2 minutes. Add Nutella and vanilla, and beat until combined. With the mixer on low speed, add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time, beating until incorporated. Gradually add heavy cream until combined. Beat frosting on medium speed for 1 to 2 minutes, until light and airy.
- To assemble, place one cake layer on a rotating cake stand. Use an offset spatula to spread frosting over the layer. Add second cake layer and spread frosting over the layer, swirling the frosting generously over the edge of the layer. Use the offset spatula to apply frosting to the sides of the cake while you rotate the cake stand.
To make your own cake flour: For every 1 cup of cake flour, place 2 tablespoons cornstarch in an empty 1-cup measure, then top up with all-purpose flour. Sift the mixture several times to evenly distribute the cornstarch.
Keywords: Nutella, Nutella Frosting, Layer Cake, Vanilla Cake