Nutella Swirl Layer Cake
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy.
Layer cake dreams are made of Nutella swirl layer cake! This fluffy and delicious vanilla cake features swirls of Nutella throughout the cake layers and plenty of silky Nutella frosting.
Created from my Nutella swirl loaf cake, you’ll love this easy layer cake for birthdays, special occasions, and any day that calls for a slice of cake!
How to Make Nutella Swirl Layer Cake
Cake Batter – This soft vanilla cake uses cake flour for the perfect crumb! If you don’t have cake flour on hand, follow the directions in the recipe below to make your own cake flour substitute. Room temperature eggs, butter, buttermilk, and Greek yogurt ensure a moist cake with a fluffy texture.
Cake Pans – Bake this cake in two 8-inch round cake pans. To prepare the pans for baking, spray the pans with non-stick baking spray and line each pan with a round of parchment paper.
Nutella Swirl – Divide the cake batter evenly between the two cake pans and smooth the batter with an offset spatula. Dollop spoonfuls of Nutella over the batter, gently swirling with a toothpick or wooden skewer (to make this easier, warm the Nutella in the microwave for 10 seconds first). Tap pans sharply to reduce air bubbles before placing in the oven.
Bake Cake – Bake rounds for 30 to 34 minutes, or until the top and edges are golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and the edges are pulling slightly away from the pan. Cool cakes for 20 minutes in pans on a wire rack before inverting onto wire racks to cool completely.
Nutella Frosting – For the frosting, you’ll need unsalted butter, salt, Nutella, vanilla extract, powdered sugar, and heavy cream. Start by beating the butter and salt until combined and softened. Add Nutella and vanilla extract, beating until smooth. Gradually mix in powdered sugar on low speed, then gradually mix in heavy cream. Increase speed to medium and beat the frosting for 1 to 2 minutes, until light and airy.
Assemble Cake – Place one cake layer on a rotating cake stand and use an offset spatula to spread Nutella frosting over the cake layer. Add second cake layer and more frosting, swirling the frosting generously over the edge of the top cake layer. Swirl frosting over the sides of the cake while rotating the cake stand. If desired, top the cake with sprinkles or fresh berries. Enjoy!Print
Nutella Swirl Layer Cake
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Yield: 1 8-inch cake
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Layer cake dreams are made of Nutella swirl layer cake! This delicous cake features swirls of Nutella and plenty of silky Nutella frosting!
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour (see note below)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup Nutella
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup Nutella
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray two 8-inch round cake pans with nonstick spray. Line the bottom of the cake pans with parchment paper.
- Whisk together cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Beat butter and sugar in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until light and fluffy; beat in vanilla. Add eggs one at a time and beat until combined. Combine buttermilk and Greek yogurt in a small bowl. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with buttermilk mixture (begin and end with flour mixture).
- Divide batter evenly between cake pans and smooth with an offset spatula. Dollop spoonfuls of Nutella over the batter, gently swirling with a toothpick or wooden skewer. Tap pans sharply to reduce air bubbles.
- Bake for 30 to 34 minutes, until the top and edges are golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and the edges are pulling slightly away from the pan. Cool cakes for 20 minutes in pans on a wire rack before inverting onto wire racks to cool completely.
- For the frosting, beat butter and salt in a large mixer bowl on medium speed until combined, about 2 minutes. Add Nutella and vanilla, and beat until combined. With the mixer on low speed, add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time, beating until incorporated. Gradually add heavy cream until combined. Beat frosting on medium speed for 1 to 2 minutes, until light and airy.
- To assemble, place one cake layer on a rotating cake stand. Use an offset spatula to spread frosting over the layer. Add second cake layer and spread frosting over the layer, swirling the frosting generously over the edge of the layer. Use the offset spatula to apply frosting to the sides of the cake while you rotate the cake stand.
To make your own cake flour: For every 1 cup of cake flour, place 2 tablespoons cornstarch in an empty 1-cup measure, then top up with all-purpose flour. Sift the mixture several times to evenly distribute the cornstarch.
Keywords: Nutella, Nutella Frosting, Layer Cake, Vanilla Cake
Craving more Nutella?
Nutella Swirl Loaf Cake
Chocolate Chip Nutella Cookie Bars
Chocolate Hazelnut Linzer Cookies
I made this cake for friends’ birthdays and it was a hit! The cake was lovely and the frosting is divine. I highly recommend a glass of milk to accompany cake consumption :-). I might add strawberries next time. Thanks for the recipe!
Oh I’m so happy to hear that, Ana! And yes, milk is an absolute must with this cake. 🙂 Strawberries sound like a fabulous idea too!
One of my kids is a Nutella fiend, but all of them would gladly indulge in this marvelous cake!
Oh yes! The frosting is absolutely dreamy! 🙂