Salted caramel banana cupcakes make the best dessert! Soft and fluffy banana cupcakes topped with salted caramel frosting and caramel drizzle.
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 10 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp bourbon (optional)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana
- 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 1/2 cups powdered sugar, divided
- 5 Tbsp salted caramel sauce
- 6 Tbsp salted caramel sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line two 12-cup standard muffin pans with baking cups. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Beat butter and sugars in a large mixer bowl on medium speed until soft and creamy; beat in vanilla and bourbon. Add eggs one at a time and beat until combined. Combine banana and buttermilk in a small bowl. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with banana mixture (begin and end with flour mixture).
- Use a medium cookie scoop coated with nonstick spray to fill each baking cup 2/3 full of batter.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, until cupcakes spring back to the touch and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cupcakes cool in pans on wire racks for 2 minutes before removing from pans to cool completely.
- For the frosting, beat butter and salt in a large mixer bowl on medium speed until smooth. Beat in vanilla. Mix in 2 1/2 cups of powdered sugar on low speed until incorporated. Mix in salted caramel sauce until incorporated. With mixer on low speed, add remaining 2 cups powdered sugar. Increase speed to medium and beat frosting for 1 minute, until light and airy.
- Transfer frosting to a large piping bag fitted with an open star tip (Wilton 8B) and frost cupcakes. Chill 20 minutes before topping with salted caramel sauce.
- Store leftover cupcakes covered in the refrigerator up to 3 days. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Make Ahead: Salted caramel sauce can be made several days ahead and chilled before using.
Keywords: Caramel, Salted Caramel, Banana, Cupcake