Say yes to chocolate brownies stuffed with mini peanut butter cup candies, topped with peanut butter frosting! The peanut butter cups are added to the brownie batter before baking for an extra indulgent peanut butter-chocolate mashup—a classic flavor combination that can’t be beat!
- 3/4 cup (105 g) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (24 g) unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 1/4 tsp (1.5 g) salt
- 1/2 cup (112 g) unsalted butter, cubed
- 6 oz (168 g) semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup (100 g) sugar
- 1/2 cup (92 g) lightly packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs (100 g), at room temperature
- 1 large egg yolk (17 g), at room temperature
- 1 1/2 tsp (6 g) vanilla extract
- 1 cup (140 g) mini peanut butter cups
- 1/4 cup (56 g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup (64 g) creamy peanut butter
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 cup (120 g) powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp (30 g) heavy cream
- mini peanut butter cups
- flaky salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line an 8-inch square metal baking pan with parchment paper. Whisk together flour, cocoa, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Place butter and chopped chocolate in a double boiler or in a heat-proof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Gradually melt the butter and chocolate, stirring until completely melted and smooth.
- Remove chocolate mixture from the heat and whisk in sugars until smooth. Whisk in eggs and egg yolk one at a time, until combined. Whisk in vanilla. Add flour mixture and fold in just until no streaks remain.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth the top. Gently tap pan once to remove air bubbles. Top the batter with mini peanut butter cups.
- Bake brownies for 25 to 28 minutes, until the top is set and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few crumbs attached. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the frosting, beat butter, peanut butter, and salt in a large mixer bowl on medium speed until combined. Gradually mix in powdered sugar on low speed until incorporated. Add heavy cream and beat until combined, then increase mixer speed to medium and beat frosting for 1 to 2 minutes, until soft and creamy.
- Use an offset spatula to swirl peanut butter frosting over the cooled brownies. Top with mini peanut butter cups and flaky salt. Chill for 15 minutes to set frosting, then use a sharp knife to cut the brownies into squares.
- Store leftover brownies in an airtight container at room temperature overnight.
Unsweetened cocoa powder: Use Dutch process cocoa powder for the richest chocolate flavor. I use and recommend Rodelle Gourmet Baking Cocoa.
Mini peanut butter cups: I like Reese’s brand. You can also find mini peanut butter cups at Trader Joe’s.
Keywords: Chocolate, Peanut Butter, Brownies, Crinkle Brownies