With the most flaky, all-butter pastry and a heavenly peach filling, these golden peach turnovers make one scrumptious summer breakfast!
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup ice water
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 1/2 cups peeled and diced peaches
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp arrowroot starch (or 1/2 tsp cornstarch)
- 2 tsp water
- 1 small peach, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp cream
- 2 tsp sugar
- For the crust, combine flour, salt, and sugar in a food processor. Add cubed butter and process for 10 seconds, just until the mixture resembles coarse meal. With the food processor running, add 1/4 cup ice water in a steady stream through feed tube. If needed, add additional ice water 1 tablespoon at a time, and process just until dough holds together in large clumps (no more than 30 seconds). Divide dough into two equal portions. Wrap each portion in plastic and flatten slightly to form a disc. Chill in the refrigerator at least 1 hour (or up to 2 days, or place in a freezer bag and freeze up to 1 month).
- For the filling, combine butter, diced peaches, 3 tablespoons sugar, and salt in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium high heat, stirring frequently, until butter is melted and juices are bubbling. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until fruit has softened. Whisk together arrowroot starch in water and add to saucepan. Simmer for 1 to 2 minutes, until mixture has thickened. Transfer to a bowl and chill until ready to use.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Place one disc of dough on a floured board and dust dough with flour. Roll out until dough is about 1/8″ thick (If dough starts to stick, use a floured bench scraper to gently lift dough from board). Cut out 4 1/2-inch squares of dough (re-roll scraps once). Place squares on baking sheet and chill in the refrigerator for 15 minutes. Repeat with second disc of dough and preheat oven to 400°F.
- Working with 1 or 2 squares at a time, place two teaspoons of peach filling in the center of the square. Top with 1 or 2 peach slices and sprinkle with sugar. Brush edges of pastry lightly with water and fold over at a diagonal to form a triangle. Seal the edges of each turnover by crimping with a fork and vent tops with a sharp knife. Chill assembled turnovers in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- Just before baking, brush turnovers with cream and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 26 to 30 minutes, until golden brown. Cool turnovers on baking sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Make ahead: Freeze assembled turnovers on a baking sheet, then transfer to a freezer bag for storage. When ready to bake, brush with cream, sprinkle with sugar, and bake directly from the freezer, adding 1-2 minutes to baking time.
Keywords: Peach, Turnovers, Pastry